My hopes for the iPhone 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MythicFrost, May 5, 2012.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

4 - 4.6 inch 1440x960 IPS display (same transition as from 480x320>960x640)

32nm A6 w/ quad-core Cortex A9 and either higher clocked dual-core graphics or lower clocked quad-core graphics.

That's what I'm wanting, anyway. The Cortex A15 architecture would be better but I don't think it's ready yet. With the above, we should see better battery life in general use as most of the cores in the CPU and GPU would be shut off, and decent (but less) battery life if all cores all firing at 100%.

2. Demonface macrumors 6502a

The Things which is needed for iPhone 5 :
    1. 4.3 screen
    2. Faster Processor as stated above.
    3.More ram
    4. Possibly a Micro SD slot
    5. Thinner Design
    6. More colors to choose from

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Not another one of THESE threads..... come on add it to the 20 other ones.

4. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

My hopes (especially considering I'm planning on buying one)...

*16:9 (or that weird 9:5 concept) screen by increasing height only (around 4" for anyone who hasn't seen the concepts)
    *A5X chip - No point in four cores if there are developers still trying to figure out how to use two properly, and the boosted graphics would power those extra pixels added by extending the screen
    *1GB RAM - A given, and needed now I'm used to having 1GB to mess around with on my third gen iPad
    *Cameras - Frankly, the 4S' rear camera is so good I wouldn't even care if they left the same one in, but because we're talking hopes/speculation here, 10-12MP, however I think the front camera deserves more attention this time around
    *Siri - Make her more useful! Allowing developers to make their apps utilise Siri would instantly unlimit her functionality
    *LTE/HSDPA - Even though I live in NZ where LTE is still a couple of years away, Apple need to do this for their own sake (the Americans are getting impatient), but HSDPA is something we do have, and me wanty
    *Dock connector - PLEASE LET THE RUMORS OF CHANGE REMAIN RUMORS, you will render all my accessories useless without some sort of tacky adapter!!!
    *Home button - Circular, physical (sound familiar?)
    *ALL NEW DESIGN - After all, if you're going to change the screen, you may as well change the rest of it. It is the five year anniversary of the iPhone after all so that deserves something new

Take what you want from all that, and yes, I do have too much spare time.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Larger screen and a sexy thin design is all I ask for. New look

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Not another one of these posts... ;)
    It's unlikely as that will cause some fragmentation and you'll get quite a tall device which may be awkward for things like reading and web browsing, etc., unlike now where the size is quite balanced.
    You can't really have apps which utilize a quad-core before there's a quad-core to be utilized, the extra two cores would be great for games and other process intensive tasks, and it wouldn't hurt battery life when they're not being used as they'll be power gated.
    Yeah, definitely. I've got the iPad 3 too, and having that amount of RAM is nice.
    I'm not sure there's much benefit having a higher MP camera on a smartphone, it's better to invest in sensor quality and as you say, the front camera too.
    I think they're heading in that direction, but it's going to be a slow process I suspect.
    This is quite likely, I'm looking forward to that!
    I'm all for a smaller and/or better connector as long as they ship it with an adaptor for existing accessories.
    It'd be nice to have a new design, yeah. I'm really excited about iOS 6 though, I want to see what new features we'll get, iOS 5 was kind of a tock not a tick, and I think iOS 6 will be a tock.

7. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

This with a solid and stronger design. Faster processor and more RAM wouldn't hurt either.

Oh, and maybe a June release date(?) :eek:

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

+1 :rolleyes:

I'm just asking for something insanely great, that's all.

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Haha I just realised, I meant to say I think iOS 6 will be a tick, not a tock. Insanely great ftw!

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Just wondering why make a new thread? What new things is this thread bringing to the conversation? Haven't you seen the other "iPhone 5" threads that ask the very same questions and have the very same answers?

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

With every update, maybe my main priority would is battery life. I hope they improve that instead of improving everything else and the battery life stays the same. I'm not saying I don't want the other aspects of the phone improved, but I wish they could do it while also improving battery life.

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Why not? I didn't see any official iPhone 5 discussion threads at the top of this subforum, so I thought I'd share my thoughts with anyone who is interested in discussing it.

13. rich2010 macrumors newbie

Right now, as I've just jailbroken my 4, would need a massive sweetener for me to want to upgrade to the iPhone 5/iOS 6.

14. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ehh, hopefully iOS 6 will be reason enough! I'm counting down the days to WWDC :D

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I don't know. Now-a-days even 4" seems small, but honestly, I don't think Apple will go any larger.

So, here's kind of what I expect:

4" screen - they really have to this time.
    New, modern design. The square, hard edged brick days are over. Apple is really falling behind the times on this and really needs to hit one out of the ballpark. The HTC One X and Lumia 900 are making Apple's design look antiquated.
    Thinner? I don't care if it's thinner. I want good battery life.
    Weight? It will weigh less because it won't be made out of 80% glass.
    1 gig ram (yawn)
    Better chip (yawn)
    Storage: Same as it has now
    Better camera: Maybe, but realistically, how much better do you need on a cell phone?
    Siri will come out of beta in name only. Will still have the same functionality.
    LTE is a given
    Dock Connector: Who cares. Leave it the same or go MicroUSB. It's still gonna have a USB plug on the end of the cable just like everything else. Here's a thought though: If Apple goes even slightly larger with the case design, then none of the aftermarked docks will work, so that may be the time to switch to a smaller connector.
    Home Button: Even the new Samsung GIII has a physical home button (as ugly as it is), but not a big honkin' round one, so Apple may keep it. I kind of like it: It's a quick way for me to tell which end of the phone is the bottom. But if it helps to keep the phone smaller while going with a larger screen, then lose it.

As far as iOS6 goes, who knows. We've had this same OS for five years now. Is this all Apple has got?

The 'iPhone 5' is really going to tell the tail whether or not Apple is going to remain a leader going forward. If they come out with a crappy 3.5" AGAIN and a tweaked-only OS, then the honeymoon is definitely going to be over, and the wolves (press) will smell blood.

16. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I would like the following:
    - 3.5 or 4 inch screen (nothing bigger... or smaller)
    - A6 processor
    - 1GB ram
    - Kill the glass back
    - NFC Functionality
    - Home Button that does get stuck
    - LTE 4G
    - Same or better battery
    - HD Sound

That's an Android.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

Fifth generation iPhone was already released.

If people wanted to start another one of these threads. Moderators should immediately change the title to sixth generation iPhone titles.

18. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Please stop with these posts. The unofficial name used to identify the next iPhone is "iPhone 5". Everyone knows what it means. And everyone knows its the 6th generation. But really, who cares??? Chances are its going to be called just "iPhone" anyway. But for now, I like iPhone 5 better then iPhone 6.

19. yinz macrumors 6502a

I hope they call it the iPhone 6 so people would stop calling it the iPhone 5

20. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

I hope they come out with a few different sizes, I peronally feel that the galaxy note is adequate :)

So please apple, keep the 3.5 for those that want it.

a 4.2 for those that want that

and a 5" for us :D

And since the A15 will be released in sept. add that too :rolleyes:

21. aneftp macrumors 601

The unofficial name for iPhone 5 was the iPhone 4s.

22. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

Well the official name is defo gonna be iPhone 5 :) as far as we can see.

I`d like to bigger screen size, powerful speakers and battery timing. Thats about it. How fast do you want your phone to be?

And it should outdo the SIII in all asepects... :p

23. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

The ONLY thing I want for the new iPhone is for it to be called the "iPhone 5"! None of that "New iPad" bull-excrement. That's the only thing that really matters. If its called the "New iPhone", how will others know that I have a superior phone than they do? That would be unacceptable. If Apple pulls this "New" nonsense on the iPhone, that will be the day I switch to Android. :mad:

24. irDigital0l Guest

Enjoy your Android phones named from condoms then ;)

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/new...-way&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Thats what the UK version always has. The US version always gets capacitive buttons and wont have that physical button. Lose the button, it just wears out or sticks