my iantivirus is chewing 427.1 GB of my imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stabb3D by GiRL, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Stabb3D by GiRL macrumors newbie

wow,, i cant believe that just happen, finally today ends the days of days searching for a possible fix. i have an imac with 500 gb .. . i delete all my movies/photos/aplications software .. i left the most important application to me. but either way i always get the disturbance message from my imac saying " your hard drive is almost full, delete things " ... i begin to read a couple of threads about that in this forum.. some1 point me to download a program called omnidisksweepper .. i download the program and I FOUND THE MAIN REASON WHY I DONT HAVE ENOUGH HARDDRIVE .. is because a program called iantivirus, i dont know why but that program is creating files?or something with protection on my imac.. look the photos below...
    *i want you to tell me your recommendation? *

was the best and faster way to delete this entire iantivirus program?.
    via trash? via security trash or other?via the omnidikssweeper himself ? .....
    i think if i trash this in security mode 427.1 gb that going to be days to delete it!
    please send me your feeds backs...
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. hakuin macrumors regular

Make sure you have a backup. I have not done this specifically with iAntiVirus but it should work.

1. Download a program that will let you view hidden files on your system:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40219/funter

2. Enter "iantivirus" in the Finder search bar, select "File Name", click on the plus sign on the right and select "System files", "are included".

Delete and trash all folders that have "iantivirus" in the name. Enter password if necessary.

It will probably tell you "cannot delete xxx because xxx is in use" or something similar. Just cancel those ones. Do what you can and empty trash of what you can.

3. Do the same as 2. but try "norton" in the Finder search bar - this may be unnecessary.

4. Now open "Activity Monitor", select "All Processes", look for names like "iantivirus" or similar. Force quit them all.

5. Repeat step 2. and 3.

That should do it. Remember, backup/clone your system before doing this.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

get rid of iAntivirus; there's no need for it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... you will be giving birth to kittens before a secure erase of 427GB completes. If you have secure erase turned on, just turn it off until you get this sorted then turn it back on later.