Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Well, my iBook G3 Clamshell appears to be stone dead. The charging LED does not light when I plug the adapter in, and it does not respond to power button pushes. The power adapter is not the issue, I've tried two adapters which both work fine with my Powerbook G3.

Is there any hope for the iBook? I'm a bit saddened to see it die since it was my first PPC Mac and started my collection.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Not a stupid question, I actually didn't think to do a PMU reset. No luck, it still doesn't appear to be receiving power.

on a hunch (from past PC Laptops) Try removing the Battery than power it up via the power adaptor. This works on all PC laptops i have tried but i dont know if Apple laptops will power up without batteries in them. I have never owned an iBook to know.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
on a hunch (from past PC Laptops) Try removing the Battery than power it up via the power adaptor. This works on all PC laptops i have tried but i dont know if Apple laptops will power up without batteries in them. I have never owned an iBook to know.

I have tried that and it still doesn't power up. The battery is dead anyway.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I have tried that and it still doesn't power up. The battery is dead anyway.

have you tried another battery? I had a IBM ThinkPad T600X (or was it a T60X?) either way i used it in school. the battery was shot so i bought an external one that works via the power adaptor plug. One day it stopped powering up but WOULD run for a few seconds on the shot internal battery. I assume something with the DC-to-DC board in the laptop failed.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
have you tried another battery? I had a IBM ThinkPad T600X (or was it a T60X?) either way i used it in school. the battery was shot so i bought an external one that works via the power adaptor plug. One day it stopped powering up but WOULD run for a few seconds on the shot internal battery. I assume something with the DC-to-DC board in the laptop failed.

Unfortunately I don't have another battery and the one I do have doesn't hold a charge (it's original to the machine). I've always had to use it plugged in.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Unfortunately I don't have another battery and the one I do have doesn't hold a charge (it's original to the machine). I've always had to use it plugged in.

My guess than is that it is the DC IN board (if that is seperate on the original iBook) If not you need a logic board

redheeler

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
My guess than is that it is the DC IN board (if that is seperate on the original iBook) If not you need a logic board

Guess my iBook is a display piece for the time being then. Too bad.

At least the 14" PowerBook G3 266 next to it works great and even has a replacement battery that holds a charge.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

I agree about the DC In board.
When I look at Apple's service manual - that says to try unplugging the keyboard, which means that the Airport card would also be removed.
Also, removing the RAM, and test again.
But, if the light in the connector stays off - I think more likely, it's the DC-In board

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
If it is the DC-IN board as some have suggested, thats a CHEAP and rather easy to replace part once your inside.

It IS separate from the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.