My idea of education reform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Mar 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Let's start with K-12.
    First, no graded homework. I get that the purpose of assigning homework is to reinforce the material learned in class. That's great. But grading based on a student's understanding of the material is what quizzes and tests are for. Teachers should not be punishing students for not completing homework.
    Second, no tying funding or teachers' jobs to standardized test scores. That unfairly affects: 1) schools in high-poverty areas, and 2) teachers who have the misfortune of teaching a classroom filled with students who don't care about their education.
    Let's redesign our entire K-12 education system so as to instill a love of learning. Let's also encourage parents to do the same.
    On that note, let's get rid of compulsory education. Students should be at school because they want to, or their parents want them to, not because the state requires them to.

Now, let's talk about college:
    First, let's redesign the general education curriculum so that the focus is more on developing knowledge or skills that can be applied to any major. So, "World history 101" becomes a class where a student learns how to do research and analyze documents by examining historical documents.
    Second, get rid of graded assignments, especially lab assignments that just create more busywork. As I said above, a student's retention - or lack thereof - of the material is already evident in his or her quiz/exam scores.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Whatever you're smoking I'll have a double.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree with some of your ideas, but not all, and certainly not the last one about it being required.

I think one of the largest issues with K-12 is that it's treated like a factory. Put child in stage 1, move them to stage 2, etc etc, and after stage 12 they roll out of the factory as some kind of product. This is a bad mindset. Certainly it makes sense to divide kids by age groups and maturity levels, but I don't think it has to be so rigid.

One radical way to compensate teachers is through the future income tax of those students. Suppose 1% of all your income tax went into a pool that was distributed to all the public school teachers you had as a kid, proportional to how many years they tough you. If you turn out to be a successful high-earner, the teacher makes more. There are big problems with this idea - rich towns would attract all the good teachers as they are most likely to have kids end up as high earners. Still, I think the idea should be about rewarding good outcomes, not punishing for bad test results.

K-12 should certainly be required, but it the type of school should be a choice. I was very fortunate to grow up in a town where kids had two high schools to choose from, one was a "college preparatory program" and another was "vocational training." Parents and kids would pick one or the other. Certainly college rates were higher in the former, but the college rates in the latter was also good when compared to the national average. This choice was really good, and it gave kids a certain ownership of their education - I chose this school to go to, I wasn't forced.

I would support a voucher program, where kids that choose to attend private schools get a voucher from their town that is equal to the cost the town isn't spending on that student, which they can use to pay the private school. It's all about choice, more choices will mean better education and more involvement.

This part is pretty idiotic. College is supposed to be about training professionals. If a student doesn't know how to do research and analyze documents or read historical documents before graduating from the K-12 phase, they don't belong in college. College boards should require colleges to raise their admission requirements, or loose certification. Students entering college should already be good students, and have most of the skills needed to be students. There should be nothing basic about college. Certainly you must learn calculus before you learn magnetics or thermodynamics, but that introductory calculus class should run as if you already know how to learn.

Finally, labs aren't about grading or busywork, they're about experience. It's about simulating what real work is like. Obviously it's directly simulating what being a grad student or researcher is like, but it's a worthwhile simulation nevertheless. Skills I learned writing chemistry lab reports I later applied to writing technical documentation, to translating software specifications for marketing folks, and even later to writing legal analysis concerning patents.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Real education reform means more teachers like this guy:

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So basically remove the actual studying and replace it with day care?

You'd have more success if you gave more graded critical assignments and got rid of tests and quizzes. Teaching for tests is why our education system fails. You have students just trying to memorize **** for tests rather than actually trying to understand it... then once they finish the test they just forget it.

I do agree with your point though about not tying teacher performance to test scores.

Education definitely needs to remain compulsory though. What kid actually wants to go to school?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

let's give everyone a diploma just for showing up, hell no need to show up at all, just e-mail it in, everyone wins and if no one hires the special snowflakes sue the potential employers.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, we have an education problem. Worse, we have a culture that celebrates and glorifies ignorance.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Bush and Obama were both elected twice, Crapdshians, Honey boo boo, 19 & counting, Jersey shore, Jerry Springer, Maury. etc etc etc

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

We don't need no eduk...edux...educt...:confused::confused: no skool.:p

12. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I partially agree.

Homework should be improved. It shouldn't be designed to force the student to spend 3-4 hours on studying on their own. It should just be a short revision of what is learned in class, that's it. And I agree, punishment for not doing homework is not respectful at all towards the kid.

Standardised tests aren't a problem, the tests themselves are. They try to test your incompetence rather than seeing how well you can perform in a certain subject. Also, NO PURE MEMORY TESTING, THAT'S POINTLESS.

Compulsory education should be fixed in the following way: If education is improved, there's no need to remove the obligation (however, the student MUST retain his or her freedom). However, homeschooling and unschooling need to be possible, if requested.

Going to college just to learn how to search for things is stupid, however. The entire purpose of college is to learn the material in question, otherwise what's the point going there.

A few good points, but a few bad points as well.

13. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

You bring up some good points.
    Just to clarify a bit: In my college, GE classes have what are called Student Learning Outcomes. These Outcomes represent general knowledge and skills that a student should have after completing a class that covers those outcomes.
    I guess my point is, GE curricula and grading should be more focused on the outcomes than they now are. For example, if the college expects world history 101 students to learn - throughout the semester - how to analyze information, then the curriculum and grading should be based more on how well a student can achieve that outcome.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That guy is awesome.