My iMac has a life of its own !?...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nuno1959, Dec 31, 2009.

1. nuno1959 macrumors member

hello to all
    in the last few days something most disconcerting has been happening on my iMac : when i'm typing something ( regardless if using Mail, TextEdit, filling out a ''box'' or other.. ) suddenly it starts typing capital i's endlessly, like this : IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII - luckily in ''short'' 15 to 20 letter bursts, except twice where it kept doing it until i restarted it.
    first, even though it's a new keyboard that has NEVER had a drink spilled over it, i thought a key was sticking so i removed the batteries from my wireless keyboard &.....it kept typing alone thus ruling out the keyboard as the source of ...
    i don't know if related but a few days before it did twice a burst of alert sounds ( i have funk selected.. ) that sounded like a ''machine gun'' effect made of said funk alert sound
    so far i've only had three or four episodes but i'm dreading this could become more serious - as in permanent..
    anyone has a clue what this is ? is this a symptom something nastier is about to happen ? should i stop using the iMac until this is sorted? any help will be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Nuno

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Have all firmware updates been applied to bluetooth, and the keyboard?

3. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I'm sad to say that this is the rise of skynet.

4. nuno1959 thread starter macrumors member

of its own!?...

to make sure Snow Leopard wouldn't give me any undue grief , i did a fresh, clean re-install of OS X, then Snow Leopard & the few softwares i have. i have every software update, got fresh batteries for the keyboard & mouse, re-paired them with the computer...
    the thing that freaks me a little is that after removing the batteries from the keyboard , IIIIIIII's where still being ''typed'' as if the keyboard still had batteries & i didn't lift my finger from the ''I'' key, weird....
    Nuno

5. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Try using another keyboard - if that fixes it, you've got a defective keyboard that should be replaced ;)