My iMac on Mac OS 10.6.3 won't update - it goes straight into the login screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 13ms13, Oct 31, 2010.

1. 13ms13 macrumors member

I am the only user of the computer (so, I am always automatically logged in as administrator) but whenever I try to do a software update, it successfully checks for new software and downloads it, I agree to the installation terms, press "install", then "restart" and then, instead of the update installation progress bar, the login screen pops up and I can either type in my password and press "restart" - but it's NOT a proper restart, because the computer just logs me out and then logs me back in without ever shutting down - or I can press "back" and then shut down/ restart but the updates won't install anyway.

What can I do? These updates are really important for me. Thanks.

2. 13ms13 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry but I really do feel the need for a bump.

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

This might sound like a poor solution, but for now if you want to go one level up with OS X to 10.6.4 go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048 first. See if that helps with the rest of the updates in Software Update after the reset of your Mac. the link will take you to the Combo update for 10.6.4.

If Software Update still behaves poorly then the solution for now and beyond that is to go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/ and find the relevant updates.

I'm trying to think of where Software Updates hides its preferences. Doubt it will help deleting it however. One never knows.

Is Software Update the only thing wrong? No other app is behaving bad? Any other odd things going on with your Mac?

4. 13ms13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answer. I'm definitely going to try this when I get back home.

And yes, unfortunately, some of the other apps (which are in desperate need for an update) aren't working properly. Especially iLife, I'm having troubles deleting iMovie clips and GarageBand keeps quitting unexpectedly and it often messes up my projects (splits and joins random parts of my recordings). I associated those problems with the lack of updates, though.