My iP4 has 1 bar, my wife's BB has 4...both on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PsyD4Me, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

THis is with both phones just laying down, no toching.
    I plan on going to the apple store tomorrow and comparing my phone with 10-20 that they have on display connected to carious music docks and etc...

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

3. draz macrumors 6502a

Which Blackberry does your wife use? Is it one that is operating on 3G such as the 9700? Or one running on Edge?

Edge/GPRS is separate from 3G so there will be differences in the bars. But yea as long as you can make calls and use your data what is the problem?

4. Sinfire macrumors regular

The number of bars displayed on the BB could be wrong. When you test it at the apple store, make sure the other phones have the upgraded bios on them.

5. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Who cares you have no idea how accurate the display bars are on her bb. You do know that your iphone bars are accurate so if anything the bb is probably being optimistic

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My question exactly.

7. pintnight macrumors 6502

How would you know iPhone 4 is displaying a accurate display of bars? Apple changed how they display the bars at least 2 times during the life of iOS for the iPhone. What make the latest changes to iOS to display the bars "accurate"? Apple has not released how they are displaying the bars based on the dB value.

Basically, I think it's crapshoot that all of the phone makers is picking a number out of their asses to decided what dB is the value for the bars.

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

True but i would imagine at they would be a lot closer to accurate based solely on the fact that they recently updated after consulting AT&T on the issue

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Apple are using (apparently) the formula that AT&T recommend to all manufacturers. I thought RIM was already using this.

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This is normal.*

I've used AT&T for years, and I have two active lines for my various smartphones. I've also owned each new iPhone model since day one. My two primary phones have been an iPhone for personal use, and mandatory BlackBerry for work. The BlackBerry's have been excellent as phones. Loud & clear with dropped calls being rare, I am completely satisfied. They've always held a signal well and displayed more signal strength.*

Edit:
    For clarification, both are on 3G.

Of all the iPhones features, the weak link is the phone. They've all been poor.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1 - Steve Jobs said the algorithms were proprietary so nobody knows but the carrier.

FWIW I don't pay attention to the bars. I'd be OK with a clean screen except when the phone needs to display "No Service".

12. Fisher624 macrumors regular

iP4 vs iP3G

I ran speed test earlier today on my 4 with 2 bars vs my wife's non-updated 3G with 5 bars. The 4 was literally twice as fast on download (upload sucked on both). I know pics or it didn't happen. Sorry.

Bars don't matter.

13. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

So the engineers at RIM are to stupid to come up with an accurate algorithm? I think its funny you seem to think only apple has accurate signal strength when they just said they had been calculating bars wrong the whole time...

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

At home I will have 3-4 bars on my iPhone 4 and my wife will have 1 - side by side. Then sometimes, it reverses. Odd.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

someone made a chart of bars vs dB value with the old and new algorithm

if i remember, the old way, certain bars contained a wider range than others
    with the new way, each bar is pretty much an even 1/5 of the dB range

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

actually, apple is now using an algorithm developed by ATT, not one they made themselves