iPad My iPad 3 retina has stayed on iOS 5.1.1 and it's been

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bloodninj4, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bloodninj4 macrumors member

Just great. If I were to purchase the air 2, I would once again hold on to the stock version of ios as long as possible.

I received my iPad 3 on launch day and I believe only performed one or two iOS updates since. Safari still runs great. I'll get an occasional crash here or there but it's been manageable and still very quick.

AirPlay still works great with my klipsch speaker or Apple TV. Battery life has held up reasonably well I'm still at about an 8-9hour avg on wifi.

Verizon lte is still working great. I've lost some app support but not on any that I would miss. Watch espn still functions perfectly as does Netflix, amazon prime and logmein. Photo stream is also working fine as is Skype. FaceTime has issues but I use my iPhone, iPad mini or mbp to deal with that.

Any other hold outs want to share their experience?

Any one taking the plunge to 8.1 with their iPad 3?

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I still use my iPad 3 every day, still on iOS 5.1. No problems though more and more web pages cause Safari to quit. I'll be retiring it next week when I get my Air 2.

3. addictzz macrumors 6502

That's what I normally do with my Apple products. My 2009 macbook pro stayed with Snow Leopard eversince. I plan my iOS to stay with iOS6 but iOS7 just brings a great deal of change in looks that I can't help but to switch. My upcoming Air 2 is going to stay with iOS 8.1.

4. New Apple macrumors regular

my ipad3 with the latest ios does everything we need it to do (wife n son)

i'll keep it until it gets broken, for the non peace of mind of the :apple: shareholders

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'd rather have the features of iOS 8 and a few dropped frames, over iOS 5.

To each his own.