Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Oh my freaking god this makes total sense and makes me wanna return my iPad Pro. The metal shell is so thin it probably can’t handle the force of the magnets very well therefore it warps the metal. At some point it’s gonna be a bent mess. Can you imagine having this for a year? 2 years?

I just got my iPad on Wednesday. I’m gonna give myself a couple days to think about it. Might just go back to my 10.5 for awhile

Thanks to OP for going the extra mile and documenting all this for us. You da real mvp

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Barring some fingerprints i forgot to wipe off, so far so good. Now my OCD self is gonna be paying too much attention to what my iPad looks like for the foreseeable future

Attachments

• 15F06D17-FDA3-4508-9384-36F5D3B9CC07.jpeg
    15F06D17-FDA3-4508-9384-36F5D3B9CC07.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 599

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Barring some fingerprints i forgot to wipe off, so far so good. Now my OCD self is gonna be paying too much attention to what my iPad looks like for the foreseeable future

That looks nice. I think I’m going to swap my silver for a space grey. It looks REALLY good.

By the way, have you tried viewing the iPad at an angle, while having lights shoot at it from the side? That way, the bumps will shine and also create a shadow. Cuz I don’t see the bumps on my iPad Pro in a normally lit environment.

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Hey OP I sent my iPad back for exactly the same reason, but the bend or whatever was only as small as in your second picture. It also made a slight clicking\ creeky(?) sound every time I picked it up in potrait mode (left hand corner) and tapped against the backside with my fingers (right hand less firm and tapping), where the spot is (see other threads with creeky sound or weird noise issues).

I sent it back as well (Germany -> Widerruf) which was supposedly successful (though I don't have my money back yet).

I swear I didn't sit on it, I used it very normally in the three days I had it. No situation that I remember where I put extensive pressure on it. I've possesed 4 iPads in my life (iPad 4, Mini Retina 2, Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5) and I've never had this issue. In fact I've treated them much worse over their (later) lifetime while I treated this one like a baby!

Edit: Also I wrote "bend" instead of bend because I think it was not exactly bend. Like in your pictures, it didn't exactly go to the edges, so I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's coming from the empty space below, which can be seen in one of the pictures that someone posted here.

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I’ve relentlessly tried to wipe these ‘marks’ off, but no use. wtf I’m so confused, since I hardly touched the back after putting the folio case on right away

Thanks for sharing your experience - it looks like the bending issue is quite credible. What folio case did you use?

Reactions: Ghost31

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. Apple should do more testing with products, there is no reason why consumers need to keep finding these issues. Sounds like a real concern with this new iPad. Does it affect both 11&12”?

UrbanExtant

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Next to The Great Marsh
Part of the issue, the largest part of the issue, is that Apple thinned down the thickness of the aluminum used in the frame of these iPads. That was my initial impression, without evidence, when I was thinking of returning mine. It was confirmed through closeup images taken on tear down sites, that delicately take new Apple products apart to show how they are assembled, and what they are made of. Comparing closeup images of the new iPad chassis with closeup images from the tear down of the 10.5”, and its chassis, it was pretty evident that the aluminum used was definitely thinner. Thinner aluminum bends easier. This is just my opinion, based on photo comparisons, and tactile feelings comparing the two models when I had them in hand.
[doublepost=1543159973][/doublepost]
Hey OP I sent my iPad back for exactly the same reason, but the bend or whatever was only as small as in your second picture. It also made a slight clicking\ creeky(?) sound every time I picked it up in potrait mode (left hand corner) and tapped against the backside with my fingers (right hand less firm and tapping), where the spot is (see other threads with creeky sound or weird noise issues).

I sent it back as well (Germany -> Widerruf) which was supposedly successful (though I don't have my money back yet).

I swear I didn't sit on it, I used it very normally in the three days I had it. No situation that I remember where I put extensive pressure on it. I've possesed 4 iPads in my life (iPad 4, Mini Retina 2, Air 2 and iPad Pro 10.5) and I've never had this issue. In fact I've treated them much worse over their (later) lifetime while I treated this one like a baby!

Edit: Also I wrote "bend" instead of bend because I think it was not exactly bend. Like in your pictures, it didn't exactly go to the edges, so I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's coming from the empty space below, which can be seen in one of the pictures that someone posted here.

You sound like you experienced exactly what I did, and what was one of two deciding factors in returning mine. When held in two hands, in portrait mode, I could delicately flex it, and it would click/pop. The best I could compare it to was the noise the little button makes on metal lids to glass jars that allow one to test if the jar has been opened. They sort of click/pop. That is exactly what the iPad and its large flat aluminum back did, click/pop when flexed lightly in two hands, in portrait mode. Out of dozens of iPads I’ve owned over the years, this was the only one I have ever had do that. Every other iPad doesn’t flex, and feels like a solid, well built piece of metal and glass.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Not sure if this was always the case, but I just realized my iPad Pro’s aluminum body is warped twice, the two curvy creases almost looks like a bulgy box.

It’s hard to see in photos, but videos seem to show it when light is directed at it. I can slightly feel the two bulges. I’m unsure if it’s bent twice, warped, or something inside is bulging out. I’m unsure if it was the result from drawing.

I’m passed my 15 day return period, now that this Wednesday has passed. Will Apple let me exchange it?

Images below (one of them I edited for dramatic effect since it’s not showing well on photos)
It looks less like warping and more like the large area of thin aluminum is caving in.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016

Very unfortunate! Are you still thinking of getting another one?

Thanks for sharing your experience - it looks like the bending issue is quite credible. What folio case did you use?

I used the Smart Keyboard folio, and I’ve been very gentle with it!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Apple should do more testing with products, there is no reason why consumers need to keep finding these issues. Sounds like a real concern with this new iPad. Does it affect both 11&12”?

It seems like I am the only one who is seeing these warping issues with my 12.9”. Maybe I’m just unlucky.

So unlucky, that just today, I went to another Apple Store that’s even farther out (in hopes for a good batch) to swap for a space grey color. When I finally got home, I found so much white powder sticking to the device and noticed scuffs where the paint was peeling out. I went to the Apple Stores just now to get it exchanged but they’re out of space grey. I guess I’m going back to silver...

Attachments

• 94E231A8-98AA-4C07-BA71-15842FD92598.jpeg
    94E231A8-98AA-4C07-BA71-15842FD92598.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 269

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Very unfortunate! Are you still thinking of getting another one?

So unlucky, that just today, I went to another Apple Store that’s even farther out (in hopes for a good batch) to swap for a space grey color. When I finally got home, I found so much white powder sticking to the device and noticed scuffs where the paint was peeling out. I went to the Apple Stores just now to get it exchanged but they’re out of space grey. I guess I’m going back to silver...

May I asked why you didn’t check it out first prior to going home? When I bought my iPad from Best Buy, I went to my car and opened the package up and looked at it. This is precisely why if there was something wrong with it, I wouldn’t have to drive back and exchange it. Just my two cents worth.

Reactions: yaboid01 and otozuz

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
May I asked why you didn’t check it out first prior to going home? When I bought my iPad from Best Buy, I went to my car and opened the package up and looked at it. This is precisely why if there was something wrong with it, I wouldn’t have to drive back and exchange it. Just my two cents worth.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me why I didn’t do so in the first place. However, I just inspected the new iPad Pro in my car that I picked up not too long ago.

Melkasha

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
I looked at the photos and at the IPP 2018 teardown by iFixit and the "bulge" seems to be located right above the strip connected to the Pencil charging board (visible on Step 10, Step 13 and Step 18). Since there is no groove for that strip, it may create the bulge when thin back panel is pressed against the battery.

Reactions: symphony

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Not sure, but at the last keynote didn’t apple say something about making MacBooks or something and using the shavings to make other products? Maybe that

The new Macbook Air, which is using 100% recycled aluminum, is series 6000, the same series that caused problems in the 6 and 6+ (bending + touch disease in 6+, and touch disease due to flexing in 6)

Apple stopped using that series on their phones with the 6S onward, never give any indication as far as I can tell on the iPad series, but it looks like whatever series they are using though has just become too weak for the thinness.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Well, I just took several pictures of a newly opened iPad. You can still faintly see it. Maybe this is intentional...?

There’s just no way I’m getting the warped devices. I guess it isn’t the folio either, because I haven’t even put it on yet.

Attachments

• 51BA3DE3-D3E7-41BC-AE82-AE755EEC7A06.jpeg
    51BA3DE3-D3E7-41BC-AE82-AE755EEC7A06.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 513
  • DC4E4461-F95C-4FD7-BB81-CF189653DF0A.jpeg
    DC4E4461-F95C-4FD7-BB81-CF189653DF0A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 505
  • 06B43D7A-C0E1-4257-9831-A6EEC78639A8.jpeg
    06B43D7A-C0E1-4257-9831-A6EEC78639A8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 518

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The new Macbook Air, which is using 100% recycled aluminum, is series 6000, the same series that caused problems in the 6 and 6+ (bending + touch disease in 6+, and touch disease due to flexing in 6)

Apple stopped using that series on their phones with the 6S onward, never give any indication as far as I can tell on the iPad series, but it looks like whatever series they are using though has just become too weak for the thinness.

Wow. Is this recycled stuff weaker somehow. Sorry I’m not a metallurgist or designer. Is my new iPad Pro “pre-recycled”:confused: I love mine so far< but I’m pretty careful with it. I did lay mine on my granite kitchen counter with the camera bump off the counter. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.