my ipad was stolen and i was really stupid and remote wiped it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guy999, Dec 15, 2011.

1. guy999 macrumors newbie

so i noticed that i hadn't seen my ipad today and we had guys working in our house yesterday. A bunch of different people and their subcontractors.

so this morning i try to see, did I leave my ipad at the office, so i login to find your ipad app(that's not the name) and low and behold it's in a very scary part of dallas.

I call the police and they are going to try and track it but I am concerned because i have a ton of personal financial information on there, like passwords to my fidelity etc, so I do a remote wipe, going very quickly and not noticing that I can no longer track my ipad.

Actually my brain registered it about 1 seconds after I hit ok.

crap, so now my ipad is gone forever.

If I could kick myself in my own butt right now I would.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'd rather be secure in knowing my info is wiped.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Me too. iPad can be replaced. Sensitive data in the wrong hands can be a lot more dangerous and expensive.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I would say the remote wipe was a better option than just letting the jerk walk around with it. He can still set it up as a new iPad, but I think Apple can track it, right?

5. Papanate macrumors regular

Yup. But only If they don't jailbreak it first.

6. guy999 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was worried they could break the remote lock and get into private data.

One bonus, At&T will let me get a new ipad and keep my unlimited data plan.

Only downside is that I was going to have the police track it and now they can't.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Which is more important? I'd say the data if I was in your situation.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Same here, I can always purchase a new iPad, but the hassles and ramifications of someone else gaining access to sensitive info....

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

It's okay man, bad stuff happens. Just take solace in the fact that an iPad is replaceable.

People can do much more harm with your sensitive data. In your situation, I would have done the same thing.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know why but it never occurred to me that a remote wipe would also kill your opportunity to find your iPhone/iPad.

Sorry about your iPad.

11. guy999 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i appreciate the well wishes. and you live and you learn and at least now i can get the ipad 3 without feeling bad, but I have to wait for that, which is the story of my life.

I just don't want to get a ipad 2 this late in the cycle, i always buy my apple products the day they come out. Actually it took me 2 days for the iphone 4s :)

12. number84 macrumors 6502

maybe Apple should allow remote wipe of all data but still allow tracking....i'm sure this is possible.

13. guy999 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm now looking for a new app that can run all the time, cannot be uninstalled that can take pictures of thieves and also log the locations of the ipad/iphone say every 10-30 minutes in a log file that can be remotely accessed.

but also is hidden

14. eq2675 macrumors regular

Sorry about your iPad, but I think you did the right thing doing the wipe.

BTW, has everyone considered turning on Restrictions and locking locations and accounts? Otherwise someone can easily disable Find My iPhone.

15. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yep, that's what I do. I'm guessing they could still easily do a restore but you could track until they do.

16. danahn17 macrumors 6502

sorry to hear but like others said, the iPad itself isn't too important. I'd much rather lose the $500-900 it costs for an iPad than getting my financial information compromised (which can potentially cost a lot more time and money).

Is the contractor an independent person/group or are they're part of some company? While I doubt it would help, i suppose you can always call and complain or write a bad Yelp review or both.

17. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Maybe you could put a claim to our home insurance company if your deductible is low enough to make sense doing it.

18. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I hope you read the riot act to the general contractor!

20. guy999 thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't have a general contractor and i had 3 different crews in my house last week.

Painters, electricians and floor cleaners.

I got a great deal on a foreclosure but I had to fix it up. I guess the great deal is a little less great by one pad.

And after you remote wipe, it boots apparently like it's out of the box so i really helped out the thief.