My iPhone 3G touchscreen is not great, very difficult to use. What do I do? Sad phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Legolover64, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Legolover64 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi there,

I bought an iPhone 3G the first day, July 11th 2008. On July 9th 2009, my camera was going bad, so I brought the phone in for a replacement (free) under the 1 year AppleCare. Boom, I had a new (identical) phone, it worked fine.

Starting today, seemingly randomly, the touchscreen has become borderline nonresponsive. It takes me several tries (probably about 10) to unlock the phone, and I have to hit letters 2, 3 even 4 times in the Messages or Safari app to have the device register the touches. I use no screen protector or anything fancypants like that, and I've tried restoring the phone.

It's definitely out of warranty (I called Apple) so I'd have to pay $299 for a replacement phone, although I don't even know if they carry a 16GB 3G. What can I do? Is there any technique someone knows for making this work? Should I go in and cry?

Thanks for any and all help!
  2. atticus27 macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    if its out of warranty then your screwed. Don't pay that much for another 3g when the new ones gonna be out within the next few weeks in the same $200-300 price range.
    also did you try restoring it in itunes to see if it fixes then screen problem?
  3. Legolover64 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2008
    Yeah, I tried restoring. This is rough, I think I'm just going to wait, even though I intended to use this as a development phone after I got the iPhone HD (or whatever it's called).

I wonder if they even carry 16GB 3G phones anymore.
  4. WeegieMac Guest

Jan 29, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    They'll have a backstock of refurbished iPhone 3G's in both 8GB and 16GB for warranty purposes, you should be ok mate.