My iPhone 4 (Reviews for Belkin Grip Vue, iLuv Bumper and Griffin Reveal)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by daemonite, Aug 19, 2010.

1. daemonite macrumors member

This is my iPhone 4, I got her in the late July batch of iPhone 4's that landed here in the United States from China. The very first thing I did was wrap her antennas up in 3mil thick black 3M outdoor vinyl that was custom cut in one continuous strip rather then the three piece sets I see sold. Yes it's a bit of a hassle to apply one continuous piece! I got this from ebay from RWK motorsports, they did a very nice job of cutting the vinyl, they even have the 2nd microphone cutout but for some reason decided not to cut out the sim tray cutout? Everything lines up very nicely, all ports and the area around the buttons are precise!

[​IMG]

2nd step was I added the custom skin on the back, I ordered this one custom from Uniqueskins.com Sadly the fitment is not perfect, it's a LITTLE smaller then the rear glass by maybe .5mm. Not noticeable once you put a case on but you can see it in the picture. Thus far it's been durable and hasn't come off despite my constant changing of cases. Since they use 3M contact vinyl which has microgrooves to dissipate air bubbles, I never have issues with bubbles...only thing is from an angle you can see the grooves which detract away from the general beauty of these skins. The printing is pretty well done with only minor aliasing (i used a very high res picture to minimize this from previous experiences)

[​IMG]

2. daemonite thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh yes my first case, the iLuv Bumper...it's thick soft rubber and goes around the edges just like a bumper should. It's only set back is it's very sticky to dust, and well it's bulky. This one adds a fair amount of bulk to the slim sleek iPhone 4, but it grips VERY well in your hand but that means you can also forget taking it easily out of your pocket. iLuv has large cut outs for the charger and speakers, and very easy to press rubber buttons for all the controls. They also do not cover the back of this phone so some form of protection is needed unless you like to go naked. The cut outs are very large, no blocking of the 2nd microphone and no problem using a variety of 3.5mm plugs! Since it's soft and grippy, I can see myself using this in situations where good grip is required, maybe during winter when I snowboard this case will come in handy. It offers very strong drop protection for the sides (thick rubber) and well...I never feel like I'm going to clumsily handle my phone when it has this bumper on it. It's simply sticky and soft!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Belkin Gripvue smoked case, a free gift from my brother...and my least favorite case. It's made of a flexible semi-hard plastic with extremely hard to press buttons. Putting on this case can be a bit of a chore, I find that putting in the power button side first then slowly putting the sides on followed by the charger end works best. Removing it is a pain as well due to the plastic nature of this case. It is quite slim, barely adding any bulk to the phone but it's a little slippery which means you should be a bit careful with it. It does slide nicely in and out of my pocket though, plugging accessories in work for the most part except for my car charger which has a larger then OEM sized 30pin plug. Plugging in certain 3.5mm plugs can be a hassle too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. daemonite thread starter macrumors member

Finally the case I use most often, the Griffin Reveal.
    It's quite slim, barely thicker then normal, Griffin proudly states this one as slimfit and compared to my iLuv bumper this one truly is. I do enjoy the additional protection of the very thin plastic on the back this case, it's rubber sides are smooth and do not attract dust and lint like my iLuv. It's buttons are easy to press compared to the GripVue and well it slides in and out of my jeans like a dream. This is my daily use case, and the only problem I can find is the cut outs for the 3.5mm plug is quite small and some of my 3.5mm items will not fit...theres about .5mm of space around the plug area so fat plugs will require you to pop your phone out of the case. Installation was a breeze and removing this case is quite simple compared to the Belkin. The 30pin cable area is also pretty small and will sometimes run into issues with larger then OEM plugs. All in all though, this is still my favorite case thus far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]