My iPhone 5 Data is THROUGH THE ROOF!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok so on my 4S I used on average 1GB of data per month. The most I ever used on it was 1.3 GB per month and I never restricted myself but whenever I could I was connected to WiFi. So now on my 5 I'm doing the same exact thing and only 7 days into my billing cycle I've used 1 GB!

The reason I didn't care getting out of Unlimited Data into 2GB per month is my track record was VERY clean so I didn't need anymore data. I know there was a problem with data still being used when connected to WiFi but I did the update I day or two before my recent billing cycle started...so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

2. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Im probably wrong but i think i saw in a thread that the iphone 5 (ios6 ver. in the iphone5?) have/had a bug in regards wifi, it will use cellular data connection even though it display that is connected to wifi.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There was an update just a couple of days ago, I think it's through your provider.
    You should check if you already have this update.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The bug in question was only for the iPhone 5 on Verizon.

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I did. And I updated it. I'm seriously concerned because 1GB in 7 days means about 4.5GB IN ONE MONTH?!?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Check your iPhone usage and compare it with the online data usage.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

that sounds about right for minimal LTE usage. I can blow through 25 gigs a month no problems.

a gig in one afternoon is very easily done, without even doing anything to heavy.

Didnt you know this was going to happen? I did?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The OP seems to be a light user, so it should not be 1 GB in 1 week, even with LTE.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I left my ATT unlimited plan for VZ and I had some concerns over how much data I used. For the most part I don't stream music or video to my phone.

The first week with my i5 I used almost 800MB which surprised me. But, then I realized I was doing speed tests 3-4 times a day. So the numbers made sense. Since then I've used my iPhone as a hotspot for my laptop, streamed at least 3-4 hours of Netflix and use it regularly for email/texting. Right now I"m sitting at 2.2GB and I'm starting my third week. From this perspective I probably won't pass 3GB because streaming Netflix and using hotspot is rare for me.

So, I'm okay with my 4GB/mo plan. I also keep my i5 on Wi-Fi at the office and home. In the end users have to stop downloading items over LTE/4G that's not urgent (apps, music, etc). They eat up a lot of data and you have Wi-Fi for free.

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

thats not my personal experience. Data on LTE flows like water from Niagara Falls. Light use = 1 gig in 1 week (thats super light use actually, just a very small amount of web browsing and checking emails, no streaming of any kind)

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, it is light for me too and I guess if I had LTE I would easily break through my 2 GB in a week instead of 1 month.

12. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

Theoretically you should not use any more data with LTE. If you are finding a significant increase in usage it's because:

1) you are using additional bandwidth intensive services that you did not use in the past. These services could be unknown to you.

2) your phone is consuming bandwidth even when connected to wifi

13. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes I have heard the "theoretical" arguments before, however just like many theory's they dont always workout to be true in a real world environment.

14. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm doing the same things as before so LTE shouldn't be an issue....it's just doing them faster. It's not using more (since I'm not doing more) so the whole "You're on LTE and that's why your number is higher" shouldn't be a valid argument...correct?

I think I'm going to take my phone into Verizon and ask what's up. They have 2 years of my old data (always 1GB a month) and now this. Something is definitely off.

How can I check to see how much data my WiFi is using? If I see barely any use then I'll know that it's using LTE instead of WiFi.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well, that's certainly not my experience. LTE has nothing to do with using more data other than the tendency to use more because its faster. I've always been a light data user and going through 1 gig in a week would be an insane amount of usage for me. If all you are doing is some light browsing and checking email, then something is seriously wrong. You must be downloading large attachments or watching videos occasionally.

16. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I have said this in other threads, while you may think your doing the same things as before you are not; because you have two separate environments, one with slower data you will refresh sites less, and sites will sometimes use less data themselves.

Now you have an LTE environment, and just because you arent doing any new actions, you are nto doing the exact same thing, and neither are the sites you visit.

So back to Theoretical examples here; if you are in a lab and have a stop watch and both phones next to each other, and do the exact same thing at the exact same time and record this to verify the exactness of it, then sure the data will be around the same. Although I still think you will see more on LTE as the sites may be bleeding some with background stuff loading.

You dont live in a lab do you? If not then you will see a difference.

17. Redslappers macrumors newbie

Perhaps you ran too many speeedtest app tests. I think those tests are data hogs.

18. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You didnt say if you are on LTE right now or not?

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If that were the case, I hope it does not happen when roaming. That would be a hell of an expensive bug.

20. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

The other way faster internet could make you use more would be using apps like Netflix that will give you a higher quality stream based on your bandwidth, which means more data in the same amount of time.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Mine is...

OFF THE CHAIN and
    BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD, but does get fickle and asks to
    CALL ME, MAYBE.

22. Joesmith13245 macrumors regular

Unless the contrary can be proved, I'm going with the laws of physics. 1mb of data is the same regardless of vehicle(3G, LTE). The only logical explanation is the addition of bandwidth consuming services. Or.. There is an issue with the carrier settings.

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

That's ridiculous. Email and small amount of web browsing is not going to run 1GB in a week whether on LTE or not.

24. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

This.

25. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

We're going to be seeing threads like this more and more.

People getting these tiered plans with small data caps have no idea how much LTE is going to raise their usage. :/