My iPhone 5 does not have LTE.

Apple2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
For some reason, my iPhone 5 does not have LTE. Why is this? It just says "4g", everyone else I know it says LTE. AT&T phone, BTW.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I would double check the settings and then just contact AT&T and bring it into the store. Show them that you get no LTE on your iPhone 5 (assuming you do have LTE in the area).

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
AT&T's "4G" is not LTE. It's more like 3.5G. I hate AT&T for this. If you were in an area with LTE coverage it would say so on your iPhone 5.

Apple2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
The weird part is, a friend of mine with same Phone has it. Literally, us standing next to each other he would have LTE and I would have "4g". IT is on in settings.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Do you have LTE on in your settings? Try toggling airport mode on then off. If the LTE signal is weak, it will default to 4g. You can literally take two steps and move from LTE to 4G. I think the phone is set up so that if the LTE signal is below a certain strength it reverts to 4g, even though that weak LTE signal would be faster than the strong 4g signal.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
For some reason, my iPhone 5 does not have LTE. Why is this? It just says "4g", everyone else I know it says LTE. AT&T phone, BTW.
See if resetting your network settings fix it. Under settings,general, reset

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
Depending on how you did your upgrade, you may not have an LTE data plan on your ATT account. Contact them and tell them you need to be moved to an LTE account. I had to do the same thing last year when the iPhone 4S moved to HSPA+

jigu005

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I have the same exact problem. I have called them up a couple of times and they can't seem to figure out what is wrong. At&t set up a Case Id for me so a technician will take a look into it, but I don't really think that will solve anything.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
The weird part is, a friend of mine with same Phone has it. Literally, us standing next to each other he would have LTE and I would have "4g". IT is on in settings.
My guess is that AT&T hasn't provisioned your SIM card for LTE. They have had some hiccups lately in moving people over and activating new iPhones. Since the old iPhone didn't have LTE, the SIM cards were provisioned for HSPA+ and below only.

If your friend has an iPhone 5, you can try switching SIM cards. If I'm correct, then he will be able to get LTE on your phone and you won't be able to on his. If yours still doesn't work, then perhaps it's something with the phone.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
AT&T had to "activate" LTE on my plan. I don't know why, but stop into an AT&T store and I bet you they can fix it.

Mikex6956

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Here in all canada there is a big issue with telus/bell provider no LTE AT ALL.
By the way 3g is very poor since i got my iphone 5 .
Iphone 5 heating issue and battery suck too !
Not a good deal at all !!!!

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Did you use your existing SIM card out of your old phone and trimmed it down to nano format or you're using the nanoSIM that came with the iPhone 5?
If you're still using the old SIM you should go to the nearest AT&T store and swap SIM. If not, call them make sure your plan is provisioned for LTE.

Good luck.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I got a new SIM from AT&T, and LTE now works. Apparently many people got "defective" sims with their new iPhone 5.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
Do you have LTE on in your settings? Try toggling airport mode on then off. If the LTE signal is weak, it will default to 4g. You can literally take two steps and move from LTE to 4G. I think the phone is set up so that if the LTE signal is below a certain strength it reverts to 4g, even though that weak LTE signal would be faster than the strong 4g signal.
Thank you, I was having a bit of trouble with something that is now fixed, and I noticed I lost my LTE. I was searching everywhere but this site (which I come to frequently) for the answer.

Thanks again!

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
This happens with AT&T because they need to provision your account to work with LTE.

I got a 5S, my daughter got a 5C, my mother in law got a 5.

All three LTE. Only my daughter with her 5C had an LTE connection. Why? The other accounts were not setup to use LTE.

I went to an AT&T store, they looked up my info, and then enabled LTE.