My iPhone 5 story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjmcvey13, Sep 14, 2012.

1. tjmcvey13 macrumors member

Preordered via Apple Store app at 4:07 with a black 64gb AT&T upgrade with unlimited data/messaging to a PO Box because where it uses AT&T's billing address as the shipping address with the web traffic I was unable to change this via AT&T. I woke up about 8am and went to change it on AT&T and Apple, well, according to AT&T my physical doesn't exist. I called Apple and got it changed by a rep named Emma who assured me everything was set and shortly received the shipping address change email. 2 hours later I receieve an email from Apple Support telling me they can't ship to a PO Box and to respond to this email with my physical address. Well, I did just in case. Shortly after, I checked my order status and was met with a red warning better saying Action Required: Please contact blah blah blah, Option 2. Well I call the number, but have no idea what option 2 is considering its a voice automated system, so I just say Change Shipping Address. I'm then met with a Due to high call volume, we can't help you, screw you. Click. Does anyone have any suggestions? My order status is listed as Awaiting Action and I have not been charged yet. But the order has went through because I have an order # and my AT&T contract has been renewed via upgrade.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Easier to read format:

Preordered via Apple Store app at 4:07 with a black 64gb AT&T upgrade with unlimited data/messaging to a PO Box because where it uses AT&T's billing address as the shipping address with the web traffic I was unable to change this via AT&T.

I woke up about 8am and went to change it on AT&T and Apple, well, according to AT&T my physical doesn't exist. I called Apple and got it changed by a rep named Emma who assured me everything was set and shortly received the shipping address change email. 2 hours later I receieve an email from Apple Support telling me they can't ship to a PO Box and to respond to this email with my physical address.

Well, I did just in case. Shortly after, I checked my order status and was met with a red warning better saying Action Required: Please contact blah blah blah, Option 2. Well I call the number, but have no idea what option 2 is considering its a voice automated system, so I just say Change Shipping Address. I'm then met with a Due to high call volume, we can't help you, screw you. Click.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My order status is listed as Awaiting Action and I have not been charged yet. But the order has went through because I have an order # and my AT&T contract has been renewed via upgrade.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Indeed.

4. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

We're still within the first 24-hours of pre-orders. I doubt any of these have shipped yet, I would keep trying over the weekend/early next week to get through to a representative to assist you.

6. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

You sir, are my hero.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Mine too. Bless you.

OP, just try to call them again. And you might consider giving them an address you know is real - like your work address, or a friend or family member.

8. Sgt93, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

I went through this as well and called and was assured all is fine and everything is running so slow due to the call volume.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

That happened to me and I just turned up the volume and now everything is much better. :eek:

10. JoshObra macrumors regular

Same problem here, but I changed the shipping adress via apple.com site.

First time I called (yesterday, somehow went through even though it kept saying "high volume of calls") they said I need to call my carrier (AT&T) to change the adress, I didn't.

Today I first called the number on the order page (1-800-692-7753) then the guy rerouted me to their Customer Service (1 800 676 2775) and pretty much the CS rep told me to just "disregard it" and there won't be any problems since I changed the address to the one that is not PO BOX. He also said shipment date is still 9/21. So I'm not sure if I should trust the rep or not.

I might probably call again later today or tomorrow if that "action required" is still on my order page.

PS: They said they contacted me initially... they didn't. :confused:

11. Aston.Zagato macrumors member

Same problem here too. Couldn't edit AT&T billing address when I ordered.

Changed the shipping info on Apple.com as soon as my pre-order began processing, but I still got the dreaded "we don't ship to PO boxes" e-mail. I replied with a physical address, but my order still displayed "action required".

Yesterday I got a call through to a live operator who confirmed my physical address was showing in her system, but that the Apple Store order status hadn't updated yet.

She did say that if the "action required" status didn't go away by the end of Sunday to call them back immediately...

My status currently shows "action required", so until then: refresh, refresh, refresh :)

PS: They didn't contact me initially, either... must be a canned response.

12. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

I went through this as well and the Apple people told me everything will be fine. I am always skeptical. Especially since the status has not changed.

13. MphsTiger macrumors newbie

The exact thing is happening to me.

I woke up at 2am central time, put in my order through the app store on my phone. A few hours later, there was an action required on the track shipment page saying apple could not ship to PO boxes and that my address needed to be changed. So I changed it. I figured that would be it.

A couple hours after that, I got an email from apple saying that they could not ship to PO boxes and that I needed to reply to that email with a different address, so I did just that.

All day Friday, that action required was still on my account page. So Saturday morning, I called apple. I took me several tries to get to a human, but I eventually got one. The first guy I talked to was extremely nice, but he said he didn't have access to what needed to be done and so he transferred me to someone in the sales department (at least, I think it was the sales department). This guy seemed a little confused. He said the address he was showing is the one that I've changed it to. He never said anything about any kind of delay this would cause. But, of course, I forgot to ask.

Now it's Monday morning, I'm hearing of some phones already starting to ship, and mine still says action required. I'm going to call apple at 9am pacific time (if the action required is still there at that time) and see what the hold up is. I have done everything I know to do, and now im worried I won't get my phone on launch day, even though I ordered it shortly after it was released.

14. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Apple uses FedEx and UPS, which is why they wouldn't ship to a PO Box

15. goldenagecomics macrumors member

Same issue as previous posters. I received various conflicting messages from Apple customer service but was ultimately told not to worry about the "awaiting action" message. This morning upon noticing the message was still there I called again and was told that it was a problem after all. Apparently, when using the iPhone Apple Store app to place the order, their system glitched causing my acceptance of terms of service to not be recorded. Why they couldn't figure this out on my phone call three days ago I do not know.

The very nice customer service rep told me that this would now be corrected but it would likely take 4 or 5 hours or more for the hold to be removed from the order. This will likely result in my order not being shipped on time for the 9/21 date. She could not tell me how long of a delay this would cause.

This is really too bad as Apple's system was solely responsible for this glitch and would not allow the customer service rep to fix it while on the phone with me. She said all she could do was send a request that it be fixed.

For those of you with a similar problem, I would suggest calling Apple ASAP to try to resolve the issue and get your order released.

16. MphsTiger macrumors newbie

I just called them again. Talked to a guy named Tyler, and he confirmed again, that the address I wanted was what he was showing. He said that the action required should go away within a few hours and that I should also get an email saying that the phone has shipped. I just hope he's telling me the truth!

17. goldenagecomics macrumors member

Well, 2.5 hours after this morning's conversation with customer service, the dreaded "awaiting action" message has finally been removed from my account. It now shows, "processing items". Let's hope this gets me back on track for a 9/21 delivery.

Has anyone who pre-ordered the iPhone 5 from Apple received a "shipped" notification yet?

18. MphsTiger macrumors newbie

After 2 hours of refreshing the account page on my iPhone, the awaiting action has been taken off and it now says processing items. It also says below that, that delivery is on 9/21. But no email stating that it has indeed shipped.

19. tjmcvey13 thread starter macrumors member

Action Required banner finally disappeared after 2 Apple calls.

Items are Processing, shipping in 2 weeks, ETA 10/5

20. JoshObra, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

JoshObra macrumors regular

Confirming that action required is now gone on my order and "preparing for shipment". What a relief!

Delivers 9/21 (was ordered around 12:01 via Apple Store App on Friday).

Attempted to track package via UPS/Fedex with no results so far.

EDIT: And they just harvested my $255 for the phone. lol.

21. tjmcvey13 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry

Sorry if the thread was hard to read as I typed it from my iPhone at work. Also, blah blah blah? Yeah, sorry, when you put 400+ out on the Internet you want answers. Deal with it.

22. brcosm macrumors newbie

Action Required Disaster

I have a pretty awesome story with regards to the "STATUS: ATTENTION"/"Action Required" some of you are seeing:

I have been dealing with this since early Sunday morning. Once I finally got someone (averaging about 45 minute waits on the premier service number), I was told I needed to go into a store to verify my id.

After visiting 3 different stores, I learned a lot about how the credit authorization works and have very little faith that my problem is addressed despite being told by someone on the premier line today that, "The order was fine, it just needed to go through auto-processing..."

What seems to be happening is that the status: attention can be caused for a variety of reasons. In my specific case, it was because I was opening a new account and had to have a credit check done. When this is the case, they assign a reference # to the credit check and associate it with the order. If they can't validate over the phone, they send you to a store.

The problem is, at the store they can't edit the original reference - they have to create a new one.

The first visit to the store, I didn't realize this and happily left thinking the validation was done (this was sunday morning). Monday morning when my status still said 'ATTENTION', I called in to the premier line and was told they saw no note on my account to accept the reference and I still needed to go to a store for authorization.

The second store visit is where I figured out what was actually going on. A manager at the store was doing his best to help me and finally convinced one of the credit people that he needed to get the original reference approved. Unfortunately, when the guy tried to approve it he got an error he had never seen before and I left armed with the credit reference numbers that I could try and give to the premier folks myself.

After calling the premier people again with the plan to give them the reference numbers and explain the whole thing, I was disconnected 3 separate times when the origin rep tried to connect to the credit people.

I visited a third store after this hoping that they may have a direct line with better support. Unfortunately, they had the same premier number I did and I experienced the same result as the second store visit when trying to authorize with the credit people via the store associate's line.

Finally, I called premier again this morning and the rep acted like nothing was wrong at all? Despite my skepticism the rep claimed all he needed to do was go through the auto processing process I mentioned earlier. He said once it finished I would get a confirmation email and everything would be good to go.

That was almost 12 hours ago and my status still says 'ATTENTION' and I have received no email. He said it should be updated within 24 hours, but I am very reluctant to believe anything I have been told by anyone other than the manager at the second store.

I am already resigned to the fact that I will be waiting in line Friday morning. I t has been the most disastrous customer experience I have ever had in my life, but for some reason I can't let it go - I will probably call again tomorrow morning when my status still hasn't changed.

The best part is, the manager at the second store showed me the notes on my account and everything was documented at an incredible level of detail. There were multiple pages recording the hours of time I have spent dealing with this. It should have thought to ask him to print it out.