My iPhone 5 thread (Questions etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macaroooon, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Macaroooon macrumors 6502

Right, so I'm about to probably buy my iPhone, but I know I'll end up making loads of threads and asking loads of questions, so I thought I'd just make one thread where I can ask you all. It will be my first smartphone, and Apple is the only brand I'll buy from when it comes to them.

1) From those of you who have bought it, do you reckon I should go for the 5, or save money and go for the 4S - I've looked at threads and seen a lot of mixed reviews, and phones arriving damaged (saying that, I reckon the people who receive perfect phones tend not to post) - so do you think the differenced are worth the extra cost?

2) I've asked this before, so many times, but I keep going back and changing my mind, but I don't know whether to get 32GB, or 64GB. I worked out, for the £100 difference, I'd only be spending £2 a week extra, and getting twice the whole capacity. Pretty good when I think like that. You see, I have an iTouch., 8GB and I haven't filled it up, but I want to use this phone as my camera too, and I can imagine getting more apps, and more songs, and photos etc, and still wanting some free space (online storage, iCloud etc for the moment I'm not thinking about)

I'll ask more, thank you all.

2. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Okay before i answer heres my background. I purchased an iPhone 5 white 32GB before this I had an iPhone 4s white 32GB.

1). For me the screen on the 5 is so sweet I don't know how I lived with the 3.5" for so long, it just feels perfect, firstly I thought eugh this looks a little abnormally long but after a few hours use it just feels great. If you can afford the 5 go for the 5! As far as damage goes I have the white model so yeah that's that but this phone feels so good in the hand and looks stunning, If I was you I'd get the 5, 100%

2). For my last 3 iPhones I have chosen the 32GB option, why? It is the perfect amount for me, of course i could fill this up and I could fill up the 64GB option easily with the iTunes library I have but, who listens to every track on their iTunes Library every day, just make playlists, so much better.
    - As well, you said you'd use more apps, I thought that when I first got my iPhone 4 but hey I downloaded a shed loads of apps then a week later found myself deleting them, useless.

Well Hey That's My Two Cents.

3. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I intend to keep the phone for at least 3 years, so I want to make the right decision.

I can afford it, but I'm just apprehensive about spending this much money on a phone when the most I've ever payed for one is £30! Saying that, it's kind of a treat to myself :) Plus, I need a camera, my ipod is on it's way out, and I hate my phone.

Thank you, I'll have a think about what you've said :)

----------

I'm now deciding on which Sim Only contract to get, currently stuck between:

Vodaphone - 12 months - £10.50 a month

300 minutes
    500 mb + 750mb bt openzone
    unlimited texts

Thee - 12 months - £6.90 a month

200 minutes
    5000 texts
    500mb

Three - 12 months - £12.90 a month

200 minutes
    5000 texts
    All you can eat data

Money is rather tight, so at the moment, I'm edging towards the vodaphone contract.

4. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Only you know how much you can spend, but when deciding on a plan, money is not everything, that Vodafone offer might be the cheapest but what is Vodafone reception like where you live?

Personally I am with 3 so maybe I am a bit bias but If you just look into the UK pre-order thread the amount of people that jumped ship from other carriers to three and are extremely happy is impressive.

If I was you and i could make the stretch the Three £12.90 option would be the one I would pick, you will not regret it as it has the All You Can Eat Data.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you scroll down the page you will find there are lots of people in the same situation as you and the very same questions have been asked. Many, many times.

As to how much memory - very hard for anyone here to really answer.

6. ltb7 macrumors 6502

if you have not filled up space on the 8GB touch - i would think the 16GB would be fine for you - if you use icloud along with itunes match i think you would be good to go - you can easily switch out apps from the cloud any time and for your photos you can use photo stream to see the last 1000 pictures...even taking lots of photos on the amazing camera, you will want to sync them w/your computer to make double sure they are backed up and then you can delete off your phone and they will be in your stream....

i would go for the iphone 5, get the latest technology available as it will be upgradable longer for new features and just an awesome phone with a great camera, much better than the camera on the 4S...

7. Macaroooon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

I've actually gone and bought the 64GB and I'm happy with my choice. Especially as I intend to use it for so long.

I'd rather have more space, than too little.

I'm excited for it arrive now!