My iPhone 5s is driving me crazy. Now it's unusable. Help me Restore it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamiltonDSi, Oct 5, 2014.

1. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

So, let me start with this :

I'm very tech savyy.
    Had all the iPhone models except the 4s.
    Tested all the Betas since iPhone OS 3.0.
    I was a beta tester for redsn0w when the 4.2 Jailbreak was in beta for the iPhone 4.
    I know my iPhones like the palm of my hand.. but this 5s is cursed.

Friday night I was playing GranTurismo 6 online on my PS3 with a friend so I called him so we can talk during the races and let each other know how the other players are driving. After one and a half our the call failed ; I looked at the status bar and my carrier was not showing - it said "searching...".
    Great, my SIM is fried I thougt.

After the race ended I was pretty calm, like I said, I thought the problem was the SIM card so just to be sure I put the SIM in my old iPhone 5. The Sim worked. Full signal on LTE.
    Then I noticed on the 5s that it keept displaying "searching..." instead of "No Sim" and when I popped the Sim out it did not warn me that the Sim was removed so I realized that the problem was the phone itself.

Ok, no problem... the phone is still in warranty so I'm going to take it to my carrier and ask for a refurb unit. What's next ? Restore.. ok.

I plugged in my 5s into my 15" rMBP running OS X Yosemite cGM with the latest version of iTunes and clicked the "Restore" button. 10 minutes passed.. the phone was still Restoring... same after 15...then 20... WTF.
    I removed the phone and iTunes popped a banner that said "Error 9". Great.
    Put the phone in DFU mode ; repeat the process. Same problem. The phone would not Restore so I went to sleep.

The next morning I tried again. Same problem so I went to my father's office to try Restoring it on his Mac (13" rMBP running OS X Mavericks with the latest version of iTunes). The Restore process failed again but this time it said that my iPhone did not have enough free memory. Again, WTF ? I had 3.5GB free.

Now my iPhone is bricked. How on earth could I start it to show someone from Orange (my carrier) that the phone is not reading any Sim cards ?

2. ravinder08 macrumors regular

Contact Apple the phone should still be under warranty

3. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi