My iPhone 6 Plus Battery Health - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jzj687, Oct 15, 2014.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

I've read and posted in some threads about the 6+'s battery, and was hoping for some insight as to whether I should return this iPhone 6 Plus for a different one, as I'm still within my return window:

Note: WiFi on, BT on, Brightness level is with the slider right below the Do Not Disturb circle (when pulling up the settings from the bottom)

CycleCount: 3
    DesignCapacity: 2855
    FullChargeCapacity: 2900
    BatteryCurrentCapacity: 64
    BatteryIsCharging: true
    ExternalChargeCapable: true
    ExternalConnected: true
    FullyCharged: false
    GasGaugeCapability: true

Attached Files:

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

3. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

it's fine.
    The battery will be in top notch shape during the first 3-4 months you use it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looking at the data you posted, why would you think there is a problem?:rolleyes:

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

From the looks of it, your battery health is just fine. Battery does fluctuate, my MBP does this constantly, where fullchargecapacity goes up and down.

6. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Because in a previous post, a user mentioned that if one's Full Capacity is 3000 or over, then all is good, while lower is not.

Further, I previously had a 128GB iPhone 6 Plus that lasted longer.

So.... :rolleyes:

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I wish you good luck then!:rolleyes:

8. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Moving right along from ^

This was my battery usage before plugging in just now... still not sure if this is considered good or bad.

Attached Files:

9. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

here's my screenshot as soon as it turned to 1% along with my brightness setting.

Thoughts? I can still return it for a new one if this is less battery life than I should be happy with.

Attached Files:

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Return it since that's what you want to hear. Despite everyone in the thread telling you otherwise.

11. mgs315, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

mgs315 macrumors member

Looks good with that brightness setting combined with WiFi and Bluetooth on.

You're watching videos on it the most so it's no surprise you're running it down quick.

12. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Posted 2 screenshots. Second one shows brightness level.

----------

Actually, what I want to hear is whether or not I should settle for the battery life/full charge capacity I'm getting.

Responses like "that's ok" or "that's fair" or well... your's for that matter, don't help answer the question of where I really am on the spectrum here and whether I should return it.

And no, I don't just want to hear that I should return it, since the new one could very well be worse... but thanks for the attempt at insight.

13. cababah macrumors 68000

You should just return it.

14. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Why?

15. cababah macrumors 68000

Cuz it's fun. iPhone returns are like a box of chocolates...

16. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Dude the battery is fine!

17. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea? Even though my Full Charge Capacity is at 2900 after 5 cycles?
    ...Worried since I've seen screenshots of Full Charge Capacities at 3100 after more cycles than that...

18. ventmore macrumors 6502a

With brightness at that level, that battery life looks completely fine to me.

19. EdisEdward macrumors 6502a

I have 2800 capacity right now. I too had another 6+. This replacement one has less battery capacity and is very noticeable. I might return mine but don't want to go throught the hassle. I have a tempered glass screen protector etc.

20. Ann P macrumors 68020

You have nearly max brightness, Bluetooth enabled, and have been watching/streaming media...looks fine here.

21. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

That sucks... What was your previous capacity?

----------

...Worried since I've seen screenshots of Full Charge Capacities at 3100 after more cycles than that...

----------

22. ventmore macrumors 6502a

You are focusing far too much on the numbers here. Look at it this way:

It says your full charge capacity is 2900, but your design capacity is 2855, so you actually have more than you paid for. The fact that someone else may have 3100 is irrelevant, and it's just down to tolerances.

Now, apparently, the 6+ battery is supposed to be 2915, so you could say you're actually missing 15mAH. However, every other screenshot I've seen has also shown the design capacity to be 2855, so I'm assuming that the report of 2915 is inaccurate, or the app you're using to display these numbers is inaccurate.

Either way you look at that, it's a win for you. If the reports were inaccurate, and 2855 is the actual value, then you've won because you have 2900. However, if it should be 2915, and the app is inaccurate in reporting design capacity, then it's probably reporting the full charge capacity inaccurately too, so all of these figures should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Bottom line is, with your settings, and that much Netflix use, you're battery is performing as well as, if not better than many. And hey......even if you were missing 15 mAH, can you honestly say you'd be able to tell. I make that a shortfall of about 0.5%......or approx 3.5 minutes of 3G browsing time.

23. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That's very helpful!

24. ventmore macrumors 6502a

No problem......happy to help :)

25. Shadowbech, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Have you considered doing a factory restore and set it up as a new device? I noticed my battery draining on my 6 Plus and couldn't figure out why but factory restore and setting up as a new device did fix the battery drain issue for me and I can easily get over 10+ hours on my 6 Plus.

If battery life is that a concern for you and you feel like you should be expecting more life then you should tweak your settings, like turning off the features that you don't use. Or simply try doing a factory restore and set up as a new device and see if that helps.

I would not be concerned with what ibackupbot reports because ifixit reports that the battery capacity for the 6 Plus is 2915 MaH. And again, battery does fluctuate so give it some time.

Now if it really bothers you because it's reporting that you are getting 2900 MaH, and you are within 14 days, I would just simply return it and get a new one.

I got a 6 Plus Verizon model yesterday and here it is:

Battery

CycleCount: 0
    DesignCapacity: 2855
    FullChargeCapacity: 3100

Of course it doesn't mean much but once you use it, battery will fluctuate.