My iPhone arrived scuffed - about replacements within 14 days return policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bitswits, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Bitswits, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Bitswits macrumors newbie

My new iPhone 5s arrived scuffed. I am well within the 14 day return policy as I have only just purchased the phone from the Apple's online store (UK). I called Apple support on Friday and a replacement has been sent out which will arrive tomorrow.

Given that I am well within the 14 days policy, can I expect to receive a new retail-packaged & sealed 5s and not a refurbished/reconditioned phone?

I know a lot of people say there is no visible difference between the two but having just spent £500 on an iPhone that arrived with damage, I really hope they'll be sending a brand new retail packaged handset.

How are replacement/reconditioned/refurbished iPhone 5s handsets packaged? And can these handsets be identified by model/serial number? There is very little online information about this regarding the 5s, whereas a lot more can be found for Apple's older handsets.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

3. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Refurbished iPhones come in brown boxes - you should get a brand new one, I'd complain if I didn't. ;)

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In the remorse period just ask for a new one or return that and go in another store

5. Bitswits, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

Bitswits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, I really hope it will be retail boxed and sealed. At this early stage, it only seems fair that new means absolutely new - not old guts with a new façade (regardless of quality control & testing of reused components in refurbished/reconditioned stock).

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

No you'll get a new one.

I recently purchased an iPhone 6 plus in my local Apple Store.

Their was a small scratch in the antenna band. They swapped it out for a brand new one too.

7. Bitswits thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone had a similar experience through the online store?

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes.

9. Pluto88888 macrumors regular

You will get a brand new sealed boxed phone within your 14 days return period.

10. Bitswits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

I'm not expecting anything to be wrong with the replacement but it's worth asking this now - will the 14 day return period re-start when the new handset arrives? And If there are any issues with the new handset, will I still be eligible for a full refund or new retail replacement? To be honest, I'd probably opt for a full refund if this happened.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As long as you have the receipt and the serial number matches with the box, you shouldn't have any problems returning the device for a full refund.

12. groutboy1 macrumors newbie

Someone was just trying to escape the Foxconn factory!
    They should have tried An HP laptop, or a. Wii U!