My iPhone broke. Should I get a blackberry for the rest of my contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hunterheath33, Jul 15, 2012.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

All i do is check emails listen to music check twitter and Facebook and that's about it besides texting and calling. What do you think as I don't have insurance?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

hard to say ... never liked BB myself so I would stay with iPhone. if money is the factor you might can go with a 3GS; should be quite cheap and enough for you needs. Or iPhone 4.

3. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the iPhone 4. My mom has blackberry and I just don't like that it's not a touchscreen

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd rather get an off contract windows phone or android phone than blackberry. You could get one for under $300 new.

5. Racivor macrumors newbie

My only grudge with Blackberry's are the horrendous battery life. It's great at first, but in a month it'll go down significantly. Also, once it reaches 10% I believe, it shuts off Internet signals to preserve battery life.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm confused ... :confused:
    why it's relevant that your mom use BB ? If you have an iPhone until now why not stick with it ... (and convince your mom to get an iPhone, too).
    what do you want to do after your contract ?

7. maliu macrumors 6502a

You can get an out of warranty replacement from Apple for $149. No extension of your contract.

8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If you need to buy a phone unsubsidized and your on gsm you can't beat the galaxy nexus for 350. Its arguably the best android phone as well. I would give it a try. I think you'll be pretty content with it. Jellybean imo is the best overall mobile operating system as well.

9. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Verizon and I've only ha my iPhone for 5 months. I don't have AppleCare and no insurance. Just widely what you guys recommend for me

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Why a BB?

I would rather hit myself in the head with a rock.

Cruise craigs for a cheap, older droid or iphone to tied you over.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If I were in your situation, I would buy the cheapest feature phone I can find, wait for the new iPhone, and live solely off of my iPad for everything else.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

That right there is probably your best suggestion if you are only 5 months into your contract.

13. Idefix macrumors 6502

need more details: a new iphone is covered by Apple for a year. If it was bought with something like AmEx, the warranty is doubled. Doesn't sound like a hand-me-down, because your post makes it sound like you're locked into a 2-year contract (which implies new.)

So, what kind of broken? Something not covered by Apple?

Anyway, go to eBay and get an older iPhone for cheap.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

A Blackberry seems like a good choice.
    Battery life is great. You have a real push service for your emails, so no further drain of battery, and Twitter and Facebook are just fine. Add to this you can find BBs at acceptable prices, and you're good to go.
    There are touch screen BBs too, of course. But again, if your use is limited to emails, messages, facebook and twitter with the casual game, I don't see a reason not to consider one.
    Also, do you like physical keyboards?

15. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

This is quite inaccurate. Blackberry has some of the best battery life phones out there. Have you ever used the 9700? Battery life was significantly better than that of the iPhone.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I guess it depends on why you are attracted to the Blackberry. There are inexpensive options with WP7 as well as Android. If you want a touchscreen OS (which is about the only criteria I saw mentioned), you probably want one of the latter mentioned devices, rather than a BB.