My iPhone has 2 speakers apparently... O_O

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Feb 22, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

So I was under the impression that the iPhone only has one speaker - the one on the bottom of the phone. Apparently, I was wrong. Lately my iPhone has been showing a button to enable AirPlay.

When I click on the button, it shows two options, "iPhone," and "iPhone Speaker." I saw this and figured "eh, it's just a bug...", however, I was wrong! When I select "iPhone" my music seems to play from some speaker at the TOP of the phone, either through the headphone port or the noise canceling mic, it seems. It is also very quiet compared to the normal iPhone speaker that is on the bottom of the phone.

Can anyone explain this?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

iPhones have two speakers...the receiver and the "speaker" speaker at the bottom.

When you speak on the phone, you receive the audio with the receiver. If you place that call on speaker mode, it will use the speaker-mode speaker.

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apparently when you talk to someone with the phone up to your ear, the sound is transmitted to your ears via magic.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

How long...Has This Been Going On..? (Old Song ) fits though...:)

6. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow... I'm friggin' stupid or something. I completely forgot about the ear speaker. Well, question answered, thanks guys.

/facepalm @ myself

7. nomik2 macrumors regular

I didn't know you could play music through the ear speaker, my iPhone doesn't show that option.

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This is actually easy to replicate. All you need to do is be listening to music from the 'Music' app and try to Shazam it. Once Shazam opens, it forces the music out of the earpiece speaker. I haven't however been given the option via AirPlay to play it out of that speaker.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No option here to AirPlay out the receiver (top speaker) either. Could it be some sort of malfunction and the AirPlay thinks there is an external speaker connected via the headphone jack or bluetooth or...?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You are meant to use the headphone for music.

11. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

So, question is... how do I make the AirPlay symbol stop appearing? It's messing with my music whenever I plug in headphones or an iPod connector for my car stereo. It makes the music skip for the first couple of seconds.

Anyone know to get this to stop (I don't even know how it started)?

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

13. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

So... does anyone know how to get AirPlay to stop appearing?

14. Nathlynn22 macrumors newbie

When I first unlocked my iPhone 4 5.0.1 couple of months back when I played music through ifile or music app I used to be able to choose by touchin a icon besides the volume and back pause/play forward when you touch it you could select iPhone speaker or iPhone when iPhone speaker selected plays through bottom loudspeaker when iPhone selected plays through ear speaker only recently it has stopped can someone please help
    Nath

15. JordanBurt macrumors newbie

From my 'judgement' I've guessed it is when you plug earphones in, you have the choice to play out of speakers or headphones.

I found if I'm using my earphones, and on the phone, I can still play my music in the background (in the earphones) maybe this has a link.

I could only guess the reason it plays out of top speaker is so it isn't distracting if you're using your phone & calling someone

16. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

This thread is well over a year old and shouldn't have been revived. I realized my mistake about a day after posting this.