My iPhone has killed 4 pairs of earbuds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PmattF, Nov 21, 2007.

1. PmattF macrumors member

Four times now since I got my iPhone in mid-July, my earbuds have gone bad on one side. The first two times it sounded like a tweeter (i.e. high pitched frequencies sounded "crunchy"), then a woofer (low sounds sounded crunchy), and now it is sort of a weird buzz, which is different than either of the past two.

Every time so far I just brought them in to the apple store and they gave me a new pair without problems. This last pair lasted less than a week.

I definitely do not listen to music at loud volumes -- I am not into that at all. I have no idea what is going on. It seems crazy to me that the phone/earbud combination would be designed in a way that the phone could even put out enough volume to damage the earbuds (if that is in fact the cause).

Anyway, has this been happening to anybody else? Could there conceivably be something wrong with my phone, or is this par for the course?

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

That seems pretty odd, all right. Are they the Apple earbuds that came with the phone? Is it always going bad on the same side? If so, which side?

3. PmattF thread starter macrumors member

Yes, always the standard Apple earbuds.

That is a great question about whether it is always the same side. I never pay attention to which ear I put which bud in, and never really looked to see which side was bad, so I have no idea.

4. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

The right side has the clicker on it. Do you remember whether it was always the side with or without the clicker? :confused:

5. PmattF thread starter macrumors member

No idea.