My iPhone is not eligible for upgrade BUT my iPads are

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 20, 2013.

1. LincolnsiPod, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I wasn't planning to upgrade to the 5S due to that line not being eligible until next year for the discount, but I noticed my two iPads were eligible for the discounts. Is it possible to upgrade via one of my iPad lines and then swap the phone over to the line/number I use my iPhone on? Has anyone tried this before with any success? This is for Verizon.

2. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Answered my own question apparently:

I guess that's the end of that then. :p

3. Copefree macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I'm eligibleto upgrade my line on Monday. My iPad is eligible now though.

However, when I go in to upgrade a line through Verizon online, it lets me upload my iPad line to an IP5s. I got it all the way to final checkout but didn't pull the trigger (yet). Go try it.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I asked this question yesterday, but no one answered. If the option is there to do it, I don't see why it wouldn't work if you were nice enough with the CS reps at your carrier store. I know what it SAYS you can and can't do, but if you're given the option to upgrade it to a phone, there are ways of making it work on the carrier's end. Which carrier is this? I might try it with AT&T.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I could see the iPad line being upgraded, but then you'd still have to use that number, unless there's a way to swap the 5s over to your current iPhone line without penalty. I think that's where the actual barrier is.

----------

Oops, I didn't even noticed I didn't mention the carrier (it's Verizon).

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

So no one (in this thread) with AT&T (yet)? The way I did cross upgrades with AT&T before is just buy with the line eligible, then take out the SIM from my existing phone and pop it in. That's what I planned on doing if I could get away with this upgrade. Still not sure if it'll work.

AT&T's website even has instructions on how to activate a phone ordered using a different line's upgrade. So they provide cross upgrade instructions.

7. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

It still should, as AT&T support page on that seems to have been upgraded specifically in mention of the new 5s and 5c. http://www.att.com/esupport/iphoneupgradesupport.jsp?source=ECSAFBFAC00D1000S

I'll have to find out if Verizon offers a similar alternative.

8. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Going the Apple store route didn't work BTW, as I received this message:

"This phone number cannot be used with an iPhone.

To use an iPhone on this account, you'll need to use either an existing iPhone-eligible line, or add a line to the account. Please press the Continue button below and select "Add a new line to my existing account."

Interesting that I didn't hit this wall when order on Verizon's site, at least not as far as I went in the ordering process.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Ah, I'll probably hit that snag then too. I'm guessing ordering from AT&T will take a lot longer. Or it'll let you place the order, then 2 days later they'll cancel it and say it's invalid or something like that.

10. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T may not have that limitation though. You could try ordering through Apple using AT&T as the carrier and see if you get the same error.

Apparently this would have only been possible for me on Verizon if my discount eligible line was carrying a normal phone (even if it's not Apple). if only they had waited a few more months before changing the policy. :p

11. LincolnsiPod, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting, if I visit my Verizon account and choose to upgrade one of my iPad lines, it locks me into choosing from a list of tablets. BUT, if I click on the iPhone 5s promotional link, THEN select one of my iPad lines, I can get all the way to the final order page. I think it's a matter of whether I'm feeling lucky enough to pull the trigger. Either it's an oversight or a little known loophole they are allowing just to encourage 5s purchases. Hmmmmm.

12. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems if you can get the phone at a discount, then it's just a matter of activating it using the "activate or switch device" option on your Verizon account page. I'm going to hold off as I'm not in a hurry and still awaiting word on whether the Mophie Pack I have will work with the 5s (otherwise that's another thing I'll need to swap). In the meantime if anyone happens to use one of their iPad/tablet lines to upgrade to the phone using Verizon, let us know how it worked out.