My iPhone may have had hostile profile config for months!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beansogle, Aug 7, 2013.

1. beansogle, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

beansogle macrumors newbie

So to make the long story short I was interested in a friend's app he was making, he was previewing on multiple friend's phones using the testflight program eventually I followed suite (it was a social network for beverages alpha).

I just come across these profiles that had been installed on my iphone that was left from the preview when he basically didn't tell me exactly what was going on my phone(and how long they were staying there). Has Testflight or his app had the ability to watch my messages? emails? so on and damn forth by having this profile configuration installed on my phone. :confused:

I need to know if this is possible, EDIT just give me a shout out for what I need to look for, what direction I need to go and what personal info could have easily been dooped. I'm not an iOS dev, obviously and I didn't even know about this feature. So easy on the told you so's.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, this is actually my first post and I'm really reaching out there on this one.

2. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

So you knew the program could snoop on you and let him install it and now you aren't friends with him anymore and are mad he can snoop on you?

3. beansogle thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I didn't know there was a profile to be installed on my phone we he downloaded his app to my phone. Entirely different, I JUST came across the actual profile tonight and started googling and one thing led to another.

I'm mad because there may have been snooping going on I was completely UNAWARE of.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

if your phone is not jailbroken, there is very little harm his app could have done. and even less without your consent.

apps in iOS dont interact with each other they are all in their own little sandbox and any "spying" attempt by this app would have been alerted to you by iOS.

if your phone is jailbroken... the possibilities are endless.

5. beansogle thread starter macrumors newbie

That brings relief haha. Thank you very much.

6. TheProFTW macrumors regular

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Yep, restore is now.

Also no matter how good of a friend I have I would NEVER let them install an app on my phone. Heck I would not even let them use it if I could help it.

If you phone is important to you, protect it. If you friend dropped and broke your phone, could he/she replace quickly?:confused:

8. TheProFTW macrumors regular

With my friends, the question is "will they ever give me a cent for it?"

9. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

As far as I know such profiles are just necessary so that your phone can run an application that's not undergone Apple's examination. At least I need them to test my apps.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's basically it. TestFlight is a fairly well established way of testing out apps and the way to do it is through profiles that it uses--it's how it's done and tons of people use it without issues. The only thing is basically you can uninstall the profiles when you no longer need the app you were testing and/or TestFlight in general.

11. beansogle thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate it guys, thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I had read too many hack stories that were starting to stress me out. haha

12. alice11 macrumors newbie

same thing happened to me. i have this unwanted profile and i cant get rid of it, i have delete all on my iphone but when hooking up with itunes it syncs this profile back and i dont really want to start a new ? Is there any other way i can get rid of this annoying profile ? :confused:

i do not have a jailbroken phone...

I would be so happy for all your replies, i have also tried to delete Profile over iphone system pref. program but it says i cant delete it from there either ??

THanking you :):):):confused::confused::confused: