Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I posted these in the pictures threads but I thought latter that perhaps more people in the iPhone thread would be more interested. I wasn't sure how to just move the thread over so I thought I would post the pics again.

I was going for a brushed gun metal look. Let me know what you like and dislike. I am seeking to improve my design skills. Thanks!

Attachments

• iPhone More White Rounded.jpg
    iPhone More White Rounded.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 178
  • iPhone Black Rounded.jpg
    iPhone Black Rounded.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 104
  • iPhone Black Rounded and White iPhone 4s.jpg
    iPhone Black Rounded and White iPhone 4s.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 93

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i still feel like a certain amount of bezel is needed both for practicality and aesthetic balance. i roughly mocked something up myself before the 4s came out.

ip5.png

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Stevemiller, nice design! What program did you use? I am pretty new to all this and I used photoshop. I want to get more of a 3d affect and to also other angle views.

Last edited:

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Yeah this is perfect. Better than that other one you did. I'm curious too as to what you used to create these.

Great job!!

Thanks, It is still not great or exactly what I had in mind but this was really my first attempt. I am using Photoshop CS5. I downloaded the trial version just three days ago. It has been lots of fun to figure things out. This is the first time I have used Photoshop and I can't help but feel there are better methods to accomplish the effects I want, both in Photoshop and other design programs. Do you have any recommendations?

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
The mock ups look great guys! It'd be great to keep this thread going to see what people come up with..

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Stevemiller, nice design! What program did you use? I am pretty new to all this and I used photoshop. I want to get more of a 3d affect and to also other angle views.

Thanks, and being limited to photoshop you've done a great job as well.

There are lots of 3d programs out there that you could try. I use blender 3d, which has the advantage of being open source and totally free. Although whatever software you choose, 3d often has something of a learning curve. There are lots of tutorials available though, I've even seen one on making an iPhone!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nice mockup, but on a related note: am I the only one that feels an edge to edge screen on a handheld device is a bad idea? I already get accidental "presses" with the palm of my hand (the area below my thumb) when I reach with my thumb. It happens rarely, but with an edge to edge screen, it would likely happen a lot more.

spiderman0616

macrumors 601
Aug 1, 2010
God I hope they get rid of the mechanical home button. I've had two different iPhones now where the button has gotten wonky over time. (One press registers two, two presses register one, etc.) I think it's just a fact of life for a button that gets used so much every day all day. They get dirty and worn out. I usually don't even keep my iPhone in my pocket--it mostly lives in a dedicated pouch in my backpack and I don't work around any dust or anything.

Other than that--I hope you're right. I love the design of the iPad 2 and I hope iPhone 5 is more along the lines of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.