My iPhone OS 3.0 Beta (Build Build 7A238) Review... And what's your rating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iParis, Mar 24, 2009.

?

What's your rating for iPhone / iPod touch OS 3.0 Beta (Build 7A238)

Poll closed May 23, 2009.
  1. 1 to 1.5

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. 2 to 2.5

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. 3 to 3.5

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. 4 to 4.5

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  5. 5

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Problems:
    - YouTube app refuses to connect.
    - With my Yahoo account in mail it will say my password is incorrect, still retrieve my mail, but when I open the email it refuses to download the content.
    - BeejiveIM constantly freezes, I haven't tried any other IMing apps.
    - FaceBook contact pictures won't load.
    - Bit of a Safari lag.
    - Just checked, and I can't use the mobile version of YouTube in Safari.
    - Push DOES NOT work.
    - [Edit] Not really a glitch but I thought I might add that it takes forever to sync. [/Edit]
    - I'm sure there's more to come.
    - When I am in Safari and go to a text box on say like MySpace or MacRumors (for posting a thread, bulletin, replying ,etc), I can't move the page around once I click for teh keyboard to come up.
    - Battery life is HORRIBLE. Today I woke up around 11:45, I used my iPod the minutes I got up and the battery was full (charged it all night). All I did was my usual stuff, check MR, check Facebook, had an IM chat for about five minutes, and look through a photo album I had put on last night. Then I look about 10 minutes ago and the battery is down to 55%! What the heck! That usage couldn't have killed it and the only thing that was different from when I had 2.2.1 is my brightness is about like 20% higher. Anybody else having battery issues.

Goodies:
    - Spotlight is perfect and convenient.
    - Cut/copy/paste is almost perfect, haven't had much of a use for it, yet.
    - When you are playing something music at the lock screen and double click the home button it now shows the artist, album, and song; instead of just the song.
    - Bit more information is given under stocks.
    - You can search in almost anything now. It's built into every mail account. Every section in music; albums, artist, songs, etc. Built into videos.
    - [Edit] I also noticed a few minutes ago while syncing my iPod and running out of space it notified me on the screen in the middle of syncing. I had never experienced that before 3.0 so I'm pretty sure it's new.[/Edit]
    - I just noticed that we can view the graphs in the stocks apps in landscape.

Here are the processes under FreeMemory 1.4 that I believe are new (a couple I mention may not be).
    - accessoryd
    - configd
    - IQAgent <--- WTF is this.
    - lockddownd
    - syslogd

For a beta I give it a 3.5/5. Only because the damn YouTube app doesn't work when it worked fine in 2.2.1. So, has anyone been able to get their YouTube app to connect after not being able to get it to?
    EDIT: I chose to set up as a new device. Remember this. I DID NOT choose to restore from a backup.

What's your rating for the 3.0 beta? And why?

Statements in red were either updated or added on 3/24 at 1:58 GMT.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Most likely the devs are asleep, the registered/active/legit ones
    (whatever you call it) ;)

...while "us" wait for summer *cough*

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Real developers are too busy and would careless about these pointless surveys.

What's the point of rating a beta firmware?

4. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

You're probably right. Why did I post this at 2 o'clock in the morning?!
    Lol. Hopefully this isn't in the dust by the time they wake up.

To see if it's worth upgrading too and hoping that the issues we find in the beta are fixed in the full release.
    Also rating the new features.
    Another reason for this thread was help on my mail and YouTube issues.

5. cpmartin2007 macrumors newbie

hey guys im a reg dev and 3.0 is pretty impressive for being a beta theres a lot of new things for dev to play with so be expecting some pretty outrageous apps coming out in june when 3.0 is released to the public anyone wanna beta test ? email me at cpmartin2007@gmail.com

6. soupdragon macrumors newbie

YouTube and 3.0 Beta

To get YouTube to work you need to Restore the phone and set it up as a new phone. My guess is that you restored from a back up, correct? I did the same thing and couldn't connect to YouTube either. So, just restore again to 3.0, set up as a new phone and you should be good to go. Only thing is you'll need to re-enter your network connections, etc., which is no big deal.

As for PUSH, I've noticed that it does work for Exchange. Not sure about Gmail et al.

My biggest issue has been lag and inconsistency. For instance, sometimes the iPod will open and work fine, other times it just hangs. Also, I've noticed that Podcast playback (i.e., bookmarks) don't sync with iTunes the way they're supposed to.

If this wasn't my only phone I'd have set it the Beta up on a dedicated Test device. Hopefully a new build will be released relatively soon to address a lot of the obvious issues. I wish that Apple would have allowed developers to revert back to 2.2.1 if necessary for the time being.

Good luck!

7. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Nope. When I restored I set it up as a new iPod, I made sure I didn't do it from a backup.

Oh, by push not working I meant for 3rd party apps like BeejiveIM, tested it out.

And I too have been having the issue with my music app and video as your are with the iPod app. I just didn't think it was enough to complain about. Yesterday for some reason my iPod kept saying there was no music or videos when I clicked on those apps, even though I was playing a song at that moment.

And you do know that you CAN revert back to 2.2.1, right? Just download the firmware and do a shift restore. I'm pretty sure you can choose to restore it from one of your 2.2.1 backups. Never a backup from 3.0, even though you should never backup 3.0.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The suggestion for YouTube does indeed work, I can confirm that. Did not work as a restore from backup, did work when setup as new device. There are probably half a dozen topics on this just on this forum alone about people getting it to work.

My Beejive has been working fine. Had one lock-up/crash, otherwise solid. Again, setup as new device.

Push for 3rd party apps can't work yet, the version of the app doesn't implement it. You're using a 2.x version of the app expecting 3.x functionality. You won't (and can't) get a push version of Beejive until 3.0 is released. Did you seriously expect it to work now? The capability wasn't even in place yet when the last Beejive update came out. Apple will deny an app submitted for sale compiled for 3.0. The only way you'll get a true Push app is by being a beta tester for one of the devs that utilize it. All Push features that should work, do work, like Exchange, MobileMe, and GoogleSync.

9. cridiron macrumors member

All the new features are bangerang...the beta is buggy, but that's to be expected. I'd rather rate it when the public release is out...

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

11. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

For the first beta of 3.0 this is a good version. I'm currently using it on my everday handset and haven't had that many problems. My maps are broken, text messaging hangs up sending sometime, and every now and then my sound quits. Besides that its not that bad. I'm sure in the next beta release it will be even better. But I found it pretty solid for my testing purposes for the apps I'm trying to get going.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It is beta so obviously it is going to have problems but:

1. My iPhone hangs up A LOT. It freezes and hangs so much I'm half tempted to go back to 2.2.1 and just put it on my old original iPhone for testing.

2. Up until my recent restore YouTube wouldn't work at all and no landscape keyboards would come up.

3. The SMS messages are out of order, again. :rolleyes:

4. Voicemail is iffy at best. It took a while for Visual Voicemail to even work again.

--

Overall the beta is good. The public release is going to be fantastic if they can work all the bugs out by then (I'm assuming they have a preset date for release). :apple:

13. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

First post updated.

As I stated in previous post, I DID NOT restore from backup.
    I did a complete restore and chose to setup as a new device.

Well obviously.