My iPhone out of warrenty WIFI stopped working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Airforcekid, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I already did a restore turned router off etc. At@t data still works any ideas? Thanks for your help!:apple:

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

When you turn on (off/on) WiFI does it see any wireless networks? If so, then WiFi is at least partially working. At that point what happens? Is you network protected? You could try turning protection off. May have to play with it.

However, if you do not see any networks and you have a laptop that does and the networks are G and not N then maybe you do have a WiFi hardware problem.

3. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

My iPhone dosent see it but everything else does. So it must be hardware?

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

That would be my guess. I know you said you were out of warrenty, but I would go into an Apple Store and verify you still can see a WiFi Network (assuming they have one running). You could at least have them check it out to verify what is wrong. At that point you can decide what options you have. I am a liittle supprised that the WiFi chip just failed. But I am not a hardware guy.

5. Fenir macrumors regular

As a last resort try going to Settings > Network > Reset > reset network settings.

6. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Is your iPhone really warm/hot? Cause if it is. Let it cool down. I remember reading somewhere where most of the time it's because of overheating.

7. conman16 macrumors member

I have the same problem. Did the network reset settings thing... Didn't work.
    Tried wifi at multiple places... Didn't work.
    Went to apple, talked to apple genius... Wifi in the apple store worked perfectly, and said if it still doesn't work to try restoing my phone to make sure there wasn't a "bad setting" in there that would stop the wifi signal... Got home, tested my wifi... Didn't work. Tried the restore... DIDN'T WORK! At this point occasionally I can get it to connect, but it will always lose the connection within like 30 seconds.
    Hello to my iPhone 3GS next weeek!

8. DonWilson macrumors member

Had the same problem for the past year. Doesn't see wifi after restarting phone, router, forgetting networks, resetting the entire phone, etc. Took it to the Genius bar and it didn't see their wireless, told me I'd have to buy another phone.

This is why I'm glad to buy the iPhone 3G S, as well as a 2 year warranty ($69).

It's horrible being stuck with EVDO for the past year.

9. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

After an entire restore it now finds them but never connects.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I recommend you try another WiFi Network. Like maybe at McDonalds or something. Maybe a problem with your WiFi at home.

11. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I have tried about ten with/without security cant think of anything more to try maybe I will put it in the freezer some people had luck with that!:cool:

12. nickane macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7829072&posted=1#post7829072

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....92636&tstart=0

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...ne_wifi_again/

Apparently its quite common. 2 ppl I've mentioned it to say they had the same thing and it was replaced by apple under warranty. Hopefully 3.0 will fix it (if it can be fixed with software), otherwise all we can hope for is a recall amnesty as is often the case with computers. Realistically, tho, those are pretty rare where mobiles are concerned since planned obsolescence is more openly implemented than in other tech industries cos of how the contracts work.

Apparently, it only affects 2Gs and early 3Gs so you'd think a good proportion of them would be out of warranty by now.