My iPhone will not agree with me on spelling

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
When iOS5 came out and shortcuts were added to the iphone dictionary/keyboard, most of my problems with autocorrect were solved: ex. I was able to make a shortcut to say sh*it when I actually typed it and not have it autocorrect to shut or ship.

However, one error could not be corrected and it's one of my most used words: aight. I guess it's a shorter word for alright that people of my generation in my area started using like 5 years ago and a lot of people I talk to use it.

"aight" always autocorrects to "sight". There is one situation where it sometimes doesn't, and that's if I start an iMessage with it. But in texts it always auto-corrects whether I'm starting a sentence or not.

Is there any way to make my autocorrect not correct this word ?

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I hope "aight" never appears in a dictionary.
Even conceding your right to coin new words, it's offensive to the ear.:)

Comment

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you wanted to, you could always add this word as a shortcut (add the word 'ai' as the shortcut.) Alternatively, if you type out "aight" and stop the autocorrect enough times, your iPhone will add it to its own dictionary.

Comment

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
just add it as the phrase in the shortcut. don't give it a shortcut (you will see it says optional)

this will let you start to type it that way without your phone autocorrecting

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.