My iPhone will not agree with me on spelling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sviato, May 28, 2012.

1. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

When iOS5 came out and shortcuts were added to the iphone dictionary/keyboard, most of my problems with autocorrect were solved: ex. I was able to make a shortcut to say sh*it when I actually typed it and not have it autocorrect to shut or ship.

However, one error could not be corrected and it's one of my most used words: aight. I guess it's a shorter word for alright that people of my generation in my area started using like 5 years ago and a lot of people I talk to use it.

"aight" always autocorrects to "sight". There is one situation where it sometimes doesn't, and that's if I start an iMessage with it. But in texts it always auto-corrects whether I'm starting a sentence or not.

Is there any way to make my autocorrect not correct this word ?

2. Cripps macrumors regular

I hope "aight" never appears in a dictionary.
    Even conceding your right to coin new words, it's offensive to the ear.:)

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

If you wanted to, you could always add this word as a shortcut (add the word 'ai' as the shortcut.) Alternatively, if you type out "aight" and stop the autocorrect enough times, your iPhone will add it to its own dictionary.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

In some cases like this the iPhone may know best. :cool:

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

just add it as the phrase in the shortcut. don't give it a shortcut (you will see it says optional)

this will let you start to type it that way without your phone autocorrecting