iPhone XS My iPhone X possibly saved my life, but I need the BEST camera so should I upgrade to XS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Hieveryone, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I’ve been conflicted. Recently I was in a seemingly horrible situation and my X was able to get signal and I called the police. It was in an elevator.

I want to get the XS for the better front and back camera, BUT with antenna issues etc should I just keep my X?

2. fitcious macrumors regular

What antenna issue? I thought xs had better service with the extra antenna lines?

3. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

The answer to "Should I upgrade my iPhone?" is always yes. I mean, have you seen our amazing new emojis?

Sincerely, Tim Cook

4. Hieveryone, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/03/iphone-xs-lte-connectivity-apple-investigation/

If I had upgraded and had this issue, it's possible I may not have gotten signal in the elevator.

I do hangout at night sometimes in the city, and especially for parking have to walk in bad areas so I mean I need my iPhone to work!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    And don't forget new color.

All jokes aside, I really do need the best camera for front and back. Like seriously.

At the same time though, it's like...wow, this iPhone X worked when I needed it most how can I risk upgrading then experience problems? Especially given what just happened recently

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Upgrading always cost money. You need to decide if it’s worth the extra cost just to get slightly better specs. I’m do for an upgrade on my X this month but to tell you he truth, it performs so well I’m not sure the cost is worth the hassle. I literally have no complaints with my X, the Xs doesn’t really wow me and it seems like I would be better off waiting to see what the iPhone XI brings to the table..

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I don’t mind the cost I’m more concerned about facing issues.

Seems like there are issues with the XS and I don’t want to run into any at all especially at this time when I need my iPhone to work most.

At the same time I really do need the best camera system for selfies and the back camera.

My guess is that if I upgraded to a XS I should be fine...but...if I get a faulty one that could be horrible right now lol

I guess as they say first world problems

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Different people have different experiences, no one can really say what your experience will be with a prticular device you'll have in a particular situation you might be in.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

The reception issues have largely been fixed with software updates.

With regards to the camera, if this is really important to you then upgrading to the XS would be worthwhile as the camera changes are significant. However the best camera is supposed to be on the pixel 3. However if you’re iOS only then the Xs would be the way to go.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Yeah I’ve heard a lot about pixel 3 camera.

I’m stuck with iMessage though. Too many fun things you can do with it. Lots of great features I love to use.

Yeah I suppose maybe if I just got the latest software update I should be ok.

I’ve a lot of great things about the camera on the XS. Seems to be underrated.

And yeah I kind of really do need the best camera haha. In fact, there’s actually no doubt about it.

I was just concerned about the issues especially after what recently happened to me. Since the device I own now has proven to be reliable in such a situation and I have absolutely no issues minus like a spec of dust or something under the camera lens then it’s just like what do I do.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    Yeah I guess that’s kind of the problem. Wish I could test drive a XS with another sim or something. or just get someone else to use it for a week and let me know if it’s all working then just switch my sim into it.

10. DJ_Smith macrumors regular

DJ_Smith

Use Apple’s 14 day return policy.

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

You know what folks?

I just read someone on here say life is precious.

And this is the truth.

Instead of worrying how good my photos look I should just be grateful to have a memory worth taking a picture for, and focus more time on the future to make more memories with them instead of worrying about whether the darn pic is grainy in low light or whatever.

The pic is just a token from a great moment in time and hopefully many more greater moments to come!

12. Rck1984 macrumors regular

Rck1984

For me personally, the slight improvements on the camera aren’t worth the price cost to upgrade from a X to a XS.
    I believe you’re better off holding onto your X and upgrade to next model.

13. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I upgraded from a 6s to the X last year and the cameras/phone was a huge upgrade. I have no problem with the quality of the photos taken by my X and combined with an app like Focos, my pictures are excellent and I can do all the effects the new Xs is capable of. The only thing the Xs has on the X is low light situations.. For me the $100 upgrade fee(taxes) plus having to start a new 24 month cycle seems a waste for such a minor improvement. The one concern I have is my X will be out of warranty at the end of the month. I don’t expect any issues but, the phone can be expensive to fix if something goes wrong. I guess the display module problem is covered for 3 years from purchase date so that’s a good thing..

14. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded from X to XS on the IUP 3 days ago. No connectivity issues noted, indicated WiFi and LTE signal strength has been identical to the X in the house and around the neighborhood.

15. Newtons Apple, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Another great adventure! You have been conflicted but it is YOU who needs to make that choice. My MAX has great cell service and so did my X.

Most elevators have a phone or emergency call button. Elevators are a metal box surrounded by thick steel reinforced concrete. Cell service could be “spotty”!