My Iphone4 jailbroken phone not running as smooth as my friends non jailbroken phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by richardc1983, Nov 26, 2010.

1. richardc1983 macrumors regular

Evening all...

My iphone 4 is not as smooth running as my friends non jailbroken phone.

His is older than mine and when I for example switch apps using the multitasking menu apps dont switch smoothly they almost stutter and flicker into the chosen app whereas my friends is very smooth no stuttering at all.

He even has more apps open then me, I only have email and settings and facebook running... not sure if my phone is faulty or if its the jail break. I only have cydia and auto3g installed no other apps from the jailbreak. Im on 4.1 operating system.

Cant remember what it was like before hand you see. Everything else works ok.

Hope someone can advise me what theres is like.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Not sure what you have installed allot of people make the mistake of installing everything and anything in Cydia. there Honestly could be a few things that cause issues and some of them non jailbreak related. if your not happy with your Jailbreak go back to non Jailbreak and see if you are happy with that. You can always go back latter JB is not for everybody and never should be!

3. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

it could be a matter of needing to reboot it.
    Try rebooting both and check it out again

4. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Have tried rebooting many times but it doesnt make any difference.

Gonna try un jailbreaking and seeing what happens.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you listed your apps there is a chance we might be able to tell you the issue. I recommend buying pkgbackup it will save all you jb stuff you can also publish it on Facebook which you can easily copy and paste here. also makes jb upgrades allot easier. :D

6. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

OK what info do you need? What Cydia lists as installed? Or in general what apps are on my phone.

The only app that appears on my phone from cydia is auto 3g & device speed test.

LIsted in Cydia under manage packages - installed.

Auto 3g
    Big boss;s source
    Cydia Community Source
    Cydia Installer
    Dev-Team
    Device speed test
    Hackulous Security (not sure if this is needed?)
    Modmyi.com
    Repo Icons
    Sauriks Source
    Source GUI
    ZodTTd's Source

Thats everything.

7. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

SBSettings is a must in my opinion... With a swipe across your taskbar you can open it to see how much available ram you currently have... Also tapping on "Prosesses" will show which apps are running and can be closed. Also you my want to try an app like "Close Recents." It sounds to me that your problem might be with apps running in the background?

8. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Have tried closing apps and having just a couple open.

This doesnt explain why my friend has loads of apps running in background and can switch them with all the animations as they should look.

9. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Update

UPDATE:

Turned off auto 3g, marked improvement, so then decided to uninstall AUto3G, mobile substrate and some taskbar thing that was installed via cydia.

Very smooth now and cpu idling at 90% mostly.

So Auto3g running in back ground caused a lot of lag and cpu processing meaning when it needed the cpu to change apps it didnt have the processing power available.

Available memory has gone up as well. Expecting an improvement in battery life now.

10. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

usually the non jailbroken iphones are smoother than jailbroken! specially if you are using the "shink" app on your jailbroken iphone.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

BS. A jallbroken iPhone runs exactly the same as a non-jailbroken iPhone.

When you start installing CPU/RAM-intensive packages however...

12. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I dont understand as all I had running was auto 3g and mobile substrate which auto 3g added on itself.

I dont have any other things on it.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Do you have any programs downloaded from hackulous?

14. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Seemed to be fine.

My friends is spot on... uninstalling those few things sorted it it seems.

When I bought my phone I set it up as a new phone also.

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It could be the phone itself. On my old 3GS, it ran fine stock at first. as soon as I JB'd it, it started to crash, be slow, etc. I thought that was what you got when you JB phones so I went back to stock but it was still crashing. I thought I messed up my phone w/ JBing and suffered through for much longer than I should have:(

Long story short...I ended up having to take my phone in to Apple and they gave me a refurb replacement. Turns out, my hardware had been bad all along and it just kept getting worse. The Genius said that I was incredibly patient and surprised I waited so long to bring it in. The refurb 3GS has been JB'd & unlocked since I got it with absolutely no problems.

So...to sum up...could be the hardware. Sometimes, you just get a bad Apple. (bad pun intended)

16. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any thing that I can download to show if the hardware aint working properly?

Seems much better occasionally lags a bit though.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

so only when you use a jailbroken phone like you're supposed to do problems start happening? Good to know.

18. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Not that I know of. My 3GS was crashing so much I had no choice but to take it in. They do a diagnostic when you bring it in but obviously I had to restore to factory when I brought it in so no history. Definitely restore to stock if you decide to bring it in.

19. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is pretty much the same as my friends now... anything else I just reckon is down to the jail break.

I get a bit of lag when I scroll texton the screen in the app store or on a website.