My iPhone5 has totally replaced my computer for casual browsing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanboy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. iFanboy, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013

iFanboy Guest

My first step into the smartphone ecosystem was with the original iPhone (before it got apps and 3G etc..) and it didn't last long really.

I kind of didn't see the point in a smartphone based on my experience and went back to a much smaller Sony dumbphone.

I tried again with the Nexus S with stock Android, and the battery life wasn't great, the UI was a bit laggy, and the apps were mediocre. "Meh" was my general opinion, although I liked the convenience of the Gmail app.

Then I decided to get an iPhone 5, and WOW. I was worried about scratches but it was flawless out of the box. I put it in a gel pouch rather than a cover and it's still flawless several months later and after constant use.

Battery lasts forever, it's also my iPod, and the apps are MUCH more polished. It does my e-mail, casual browsing MUCH better than android ever did, Reddit app is better (alienblue) and the whole experience is smooth and easy to use. Everything I could casually do on my computer - e-mail, web browsing, youtbe videos is just great and more convenient on my iPhone.

My computer is now relegated to being a Microsoft Office machine. I literally only turn it on when I need word or excel.

The size is also perfect. I wear a slim fit suit and I never notice it in my pocket, the screen is large enough for everything I need, and it's more "long" than wide - just what I need in a phone.

I really don't understand why the iPhone gets so much hate. It's clear that Apple is focusing on the user experience - and WHAT an experience I've had.

You can have my iPhone when you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

What's your secret to good battery life?
    I'm in the same boat as you however, I use my phone now for probably about 80% of all internet related things, other than gaming.
    I just find the battery is dead by about 4pm, on 3G.
    No LTE around here..

3. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

If something exists it is going to be criticized. I agree with the microsoft office part for sure. I rarely even use my lap top anymore. As far as the battery goes, I play games on it a lot throughout the day and it only lasts about 5 hours. :p

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think mobile devices have done this for virtually everyone that has them. I still hop on the computer quite often though. The trick is locating the computer at a place in the house where it is convenient to get to. That can be tough though, since my pocket is always closer, HAHA!:D

5. Davejprince macrumors regular

Good for you, that it can replace your PC.
    Altough I do prefer a bigger screen (24") for web browsing.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I could say the same but ... for an iPad !
    Screen size of my iPhone 5 is just too small to replace my MacBook ...
    It's ok when I'm on the road, but at home I'm using my iPad more than ever.

7. iFanboy Guest

I really don't know. I charge it every night so every morning I'm out the door on 100%.

I make few calls, check and send e-mail constantly, browse reddit via alienblue, listen to music via iTunes in the cloud, play around in the facebook app etc.... and at the end of any given day I don't seem to be less than 60% and sometimes more?

I could easily get 2 days of use from this thing.

Doing the same thing with my Nexus S would get me at 50% by lunchtime and if I was working late it would die before I got home.

I just put it down to iOS software optimisations tbh? *shrugs*

----------

Exactly. If I need to check or send an e-mail, see what's on the reddit front page, check the itunes charts for some new music, check facebook or twitter, casually browse some websites etc.. it's now all iPhone.

Going to the computer seems such a chore tbh. Having to go into the other room, turn it on, log in etc... or just stay where I am and take phone out of pocket. Yeah, iPhone it is!

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

My iPad is what's replaced my computer for casual browsing. iPhone is a little too small still. I'm just debating now whether or not I want to get a mini for my next iPad, provided they move to a retina display.

9. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Still prefer to browse full websites on the PC. Not very used to viewing mobile websites on small displays over long periods of time, unless it is really necessary and I have no other alternatives at the moment....

10. donftps macrumors newbie

yeah,use my phone now for probably about 80% of all internet related things, other than gaming.[​IMG]

11. wxman2003 Suspended

I have several apps I use on my iPhone, but rarely ever use it for browsing. I prefer my iMac or iPad for serious browsing.

12. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I also get about two days

13. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

You're comparing a 2+ year old phone to something released last September.

14. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Yep it's great

For the past 2 years I use my iPhone/iPad

Cash checks
    Shop
    Pay all bills
    My insurance card is on my phone

15. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

I would say 75% on my iphone for browsing, purchasing, and using apps for many other functions. If the iphone goes larger, it'll be easier on the eyes and I'm sure more will leave their Macs and PC's for viewing.
    Let's face it, the iphone in just a few years changed the way we do so many things today and we still don't know what Apple has for the future. A revolutionary achievement, I believe.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is the beautiful woman who ignores you. Can't stop looking at her but she won't give them what they want. :)

iP1 -> iP5 huge difference. Just look at the original keynote, waiting for GoogleMaps to paint the screen. Forward to IP5, faster processor, higher resolution screen, faster cellular network = no waiting.

Screen still too small for browsing to me however, still pull out my Air whenever am able to seriously browsing.

17. TC03 macrumors 65816

Thing is, the iPhone 5 is so fast. It's faster for browsing than most computers... I used to think the screen size was the main constraint on smartphones, but ever since I have had the iPhone 5 I think it's speed. I've found myself using the iPhone 5 for serious browsing quite a lot.

18. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I much prefer browsing on my MBP. I only browse on my iPhone 5 if I'm on the go and I absolutely have to look something up. No casual browsing on the iPhone - I just don't enjoy the experience.

19. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I prefer my mini iPad, but because of slower speed web page loading and weaker Wi-Fi signal I end up using the full size iPad as well. I do not enjoy surfing in the phone though. Too small a screen for me.

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Faster than most computers for web browsing? Not sure if serious.

21. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

cool - glad that works out for you...

i for one still like using a 17"/24" + screen to browse the internet.

give me a full screen any day

22. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

You're going to take a hit on 3G. Since data speeds are slower, the on time of the 3G radio will cause a larger battery drain than using the 4G radio. That is to say, a web page that loads faster on 4G will allow the 4G radio to sleep where as the 3G radio will remain active. And if you are on HSPA+, it has its own inefficiencies.