My iphone5 story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 5enohpi, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

A little frustrated with my experience so I figured it vent on here maybe some of you can chime in.

Called AT&T on the 14th at around 10 AM and ordered iphone5 while extending my 2 year contract. Recieved phone on the 21st. Started having major battery issues right from the get go. Battery was dying every 3-4 hours. switched off LTE reset network settings, turned of notifications etc nothing worked. Took it to apple store on walnut st in Philly they ran a diagnostic and told me that the battery was a lemon and swapped it out with a new one. Now have a Iphone 5 with excellent battery life however theres a chip on the side of the bezel. I dont know if I should go in and swap it out again and risk having more battery issues with the new phone.

In the event that I decide to keep it do you think the chip will eat away on the rest of the bezel and grow over time? If I decide to keep it should I walk in the store without an appt or should I set one? Any thoughts/advice are welcome

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Will the chip eat the bezel? No. If you want a new one go in for a possible exchange.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Assuming by "eat away" you mean grow larger by continued wear and tear, yes. I do think that will happen. Just as much as I think that if it were perfect, that continued wear and tear would soon enough create a chip from which further wear will occur.

Keep the phone, enjoy it, and relax.

Don't encourage them. :p

4. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

Who falls into the "them" category?

5. dfinecy macrumors regular

Disclaimer: I hate myself for saying this.

If you aren't completely satisfied with your exchange, you can exchange it again. But if you can live with that small chip, I say don't worry about. Odds are any phone you get will get cosmetic damage from normal use anyway.

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You and anyone else with issues that can easily wait a few weeks to be dealt with before making it even more difficult for Apple to catch up to demand.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Keep it, enjoy it, and swap it out in a few months. :D

8. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

Thats where Im going back and forth. I dont really mind the chip but then again I take good care of my setuff and my iphone 4S is scratch scuff free so part of me thinks if you paid for a premium product it should be in pristine condition. Trying to convince myself to go thru all that chaos at the apple store is the problem I guess

----------

So you are saying I should wait to swap it out?

9. solo118 macrumors 65816

If you are not wearing a case, more chips will happen no matter how careful you are. You just never know.

If you are wearing a case, it will never be seen. If you have good battery life just keep it and enjoy.

10. II BISTRO II macrumors member

11. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

I dont care if someone else sees. The fact that I know bothers me. I think Im leaning towards swapping it out

----------

LTE coverage is in primarily the "center city" area and it is awesome. I did a test its faster than the wifi in my house. If you go out towards the suburbs it switches back to 3G

12. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Does the chip bother you that much? If so, then take it back to the Apple store and exchange it. However, you do run the risk of getting another model with a faulty battery (in turn, you could walk around the area after you leave to see how your battery is faring).

I don't know how big the chip currently is, but I would probably just keep it (especially if it's pretty small). But again, it's completely your call.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

This is the first I've heard of anyone getting a lemon battery, so the chances of that happening again seem pretty remote.

14. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

Dont know about that. Theres plenty ppl complaining about their battery life with ip5

15. thecurryman macrumors 6502

The way I figure. If there's a chip or nick out of the box you should get a replacement. If you make the scuff happen then you should deal with it lol.

16. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

you are right. I am going to go back and demand a new phone. I paid for a device I dont expect it to have nicks or what not. also to the fellow who commented above about waiting till apple has more supply. I wonder if he would wait it out if it was his phone that was damaged...

17. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

Just to give you guys an update to what I did:

Went thru five iPhone 5s today. Ridiculous...
    Just wanted to share my experience with you guys today. Ordered an ip5 on the 14th via AT&T over the phone around 10 AM. Recieved phone on 21st. Instant battery issues. Wouldn't hold for more than 3-4 hours. Tried calibrating switching stuff off adjusting brightness etc ( which I don't thnk I should have to do but still tried it anyway) went to apple on walnut and 17th in Philadelphia recieved a replacement phone on the 26th.

I'll break this into 2 paragraphs so it doesn't get boring. After receiving the replacement I noticed a chip on the bezel. Debated for a while if I should just suck it up and keep it or if I should go back and get a new one. Even posted over here to see what others thought. General consensus was go get a new one. Walked into same apple store in the evening no appointment asked some random genius employee for the manager. Met with the manager and explained my issue manager went in the back brought out an ip5 opened it up and checked it out to his surprise it had a chip in the bezel he noticed. He went back brought another one and what do u know?

Chip on bezel on the bottom. I said let's try this one more time he went got another one. Meanwhile I have about 20 people standing around me watching all this go down and everyone's complaining to the employees about how apple dropped the ball and didn't care to do quality control before packing the phones. Manager comes back with another iPhone opens it up 20 people are watching and as he pulls out the phone we both see the biggest most hideous chip yet again! People are gasping laughing surprised mad at this point. I. Getting frustrated.

Finally the last phone he brought was still NOT blemish free and had slight chips where the bezel starts but at that point I was like whatever I'll just take the least damaged one at this point. I did ask him if he would just give me a white one but he said he couldn't. If I could do it again I would prolly just buy the white one and not have to deal with any of this. Now I'm just hoping that the one I brought home has no issues so I don't have to go back. Hope y'all didn't get bored reading this

The above is my experience I copy/ pasted from another thread that was locked by mods due to some old members on here who got upset and complained because I wouldn't let them bully me around :D

18. dljeffery macrumors regular

I'd guess the other thread was locked because it was simply a duplicate of this thread.

19. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

No. It's because of the above mentioned reason

20. dljeffery macrumors regular

Either way, no need to create two threads for one topic.

21. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

I didn't create two threads. This was prior to that one. Too many old timer critics came on and started posting useless stuff

22. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

No you didn't create two threads, you created three. You made a new thread to update everyone on the status of the last thread you created. If you want people to be able to track the progress of your issue and see the resolve you got, keep it all in one thread. It makes things so much more efficient. As much as I hated to see that locked thread come back, putting all that info into this thread was the right move. You should probably go back and paste the info from the other thread in there as well to keep it all in one spot.

***EDIT*** Actually I apologize. Your battery thread would have been better suited in one of the battery threads. My bad.

23. 5enohpi thread starter macrumors regular

5enohpi

Will do

24. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

And I do seriously apologize for sounding like a douche. I have no idea why I'm getting so easily agitated around here lately. In person, hardly anything bothers me to this end. Or maybe I just bottle it up inside in person and I let it all come crashing out online. I think it's a side effect of being enlisted in the military and not being an officer.

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd exchange it and have them do a battery test on the new one.