My iPod touch with 3.1.1 doesn't have the genius feature on it.... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Appleiswatilaud, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Appleiswatilaud macrumors newbie

Apparently with the new 3.1.1 Software on an ipod touch and iphones, your music takes the "Genius" feature to a whole new level. You can somehow browse through all the genius you have or something like that.
    Im not really sure.

The problem is, i just updated my ipod touch to 3.1.1 and it does not show that new genius feature in my music.

It does however show genius in my app store in my ipod.

What do I need to do in order for the new genius feature to show up in my music in my ipod?

I am pretty sure I turned on genius in my itunes on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    :D

Here is a picture of what I am talking about, it is the ipod not the itunes on the computer
    [​IMG]
    -Apple.com
    -Apple Company
    -NOT MY PICTURE
    -All rights reserved.

2. thefatmould macrumors member

Have you updated to iTunes 9 as this is an iTunes 9/3.1 feature.
    This may help

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I found it would not work when set to manually sync music and video. If you have Genius enabled go to Store in the menu bar and Update Genius, once that is complete go to your device, then the Music tab and changing to Sync Music\ Selected Playlists, Artists and Genre. Select the Genius Mixes and then sync your Touch and it should load the mixes which should appear in the Genius tab on your Touch. For some reason only 9 of the 12 iTunes mixes seem to sync to the Touch, don't know if it is a bug or if it is designed to only hold 9 mixes.

Hope this helps it worked for me.

[​IMG]

4. Appleiswatilaud thread starter macrumors newbie

It did not really work for me..=/
    I did everything that you mentioned...

Do you think the reason why is that I do not have
    "Genius Mixes"
    in my playlists or under the Genius Tab?

Thanks for all the help
    :)

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Some suggest that if you already have Genius enabled in iTunes you need to turn it off and then back on to enable mixes but I don't recall doing that but it may be worth a try.

After I synced the Genius tab just appeared in the ipod menu bar.

[​IMG]

6. Appleiswatilaud thread starter macrumors newbie

That did'nt work either...=/

do you think that it is cause i do not have many songs? (I only have 68)

or the fact that under the genius tab in the left bar, i do not have something called "genius mix"..hmm..

thanks for the help though!

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Yep, I think that is possibly the problem, the mixes appear to be quite large, based on the amount of space used to store 12 mixes on my Touch at a rough guesstimate I would say that there may be between 80-100 tracks in a mix.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

What worked for me was to select one of the Genius Mixes in iTunes on my iMac and then sync to my touch. Then Genius became available on my touch.

9. aussiechick28 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem - Genius Mixes would not sync to my iPod, but Genius playlists would. I called AppleCare and even they could not help me. I ended up turning off Genius (it was enabled with my previous version of iTunes) and then turning it back on and updating it and then it synced the Genius Mixes to my iPod.