Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
so my ipod will be making its first cross-country trip...

and i am wondering if there could be any harm with the x-ray machines at the airport and my ipod. i'm sure there won't be a problem, but after you spend 500 bucks on something you want to make sure it won't get killed by the airport screeners.

if there is a problem with it going through the machine, is there some way i can prove to them that it is in fact an ipod and not a steak knife or something? i remember back in the day (okay, like 3 years ago) i could take my cell phone and just turn it on and off for them and that was good enough.

MPTV-Ti

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
San Francisco, CA
flying= no problem

have flown many, many times with my ipod in the past year and have yet to have one single problem going thru security/x-ray machine!

bombensington

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
great, that's good news to hear.

now if only i could not be so sad about finding 7GB worth of songs to not put on the ipod. :( wow i never thought i would say that about my 20GB. too bad there's not some sort of infintely expandable ipod that never gets full...ha ha ha.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
No problem on international flights either :D

Thank god I don't have that much music! I still haven't filled up my 5GB iPod... but I still love the idea of having ALL my music with me, so it would be such a pain to be in your situation!

irmongoose

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
I actually bought my iPod in NY the xmas of the year they came out (2001?) and flew home to the uk no problems - although the metal detectors always go off due to my piercings:p
I also use it on the tube everyday with no problems there either, apart from dirty looks from other passengers!

Originally posted by irmongoose

Thank god I don't have that much music! I still haven't filled up my 5GB iPod... but I still love the idea of having ALL my music with me, so it would be such a pain to be in your situation!

irmongoose

WOW! I need to replace my playlists all the time - but thats from a combo of ripping my own cd's, 3 years with a janet connection @ university and ADSL @ home, @ work and @ most of my friends.

Thank you BT - It's good to talk! And to share;)

bombensington

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
the only problem i have with iPods and planes and flying is that the battery doesn't last long...:D

i get pretty good battery life from mine, actually...

and i guess it's not that long of a flight, just from des moines to sacramento with a stop in denver...so not that bad.

i haven't upgraded to the 1.2.6 update yet...is that an improvement for battery life, or should i stick with what i've got?

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
1.2.6 has certainly made the battery readings a lot more stable for me, and that stability does make it seem like the battery lasts longer.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by Thanatoast
1.2.6 has certainly made the battery readings a lot more stable for me, and that stability does make it seem like the battery lasts longer.

good to hear, i'll get it upgraded then.

thanks!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
10 hours, very short and not long enough for something like a flight to japan.

short as compared to what??

i can't use a single charge on the pod to play all my days and days worth of music... blah

there has to be a limit, and 10 hours is pretty damn impressive

that said, i don't get 10 hours (or even close) anymore... so that's another issue.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002

well...i don't fly to japan that often, so the battery life is just fine for me. i guess "very short" is relative.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
maybe the new ipods will have better battery life! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.