My iReport on CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Jul 8, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

2. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks buddy. The news crews are coming in a couple of hours. Hopefully that will spur some results.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Write F**k you on your middle fingernail, that will guarantee media attention!

4. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HA! That's funny!!!! The local TV station came, so hopefully that will spur something with them.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, if the **** really hits the fan, load up the car and come visit your cousin up here in Illinois. We don't have much room, but we'll figure something out. :)

(cousin? Ok, maybe brother from a different mother?)

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

;) Thank you for the offer, you never know......

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Just give me enough time to break to the news to my wife, but other than that, if you ever need a hand, I'm happy to help.

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Man, I hope so. I'd like to add my best wishes too. Hope you get what you deserve, not what they think you deserve.

10. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you! The local news just ran a story on the 10 o'clock news. I hope like hell this works. If not it is gonna be pretty damn bad.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I spoke with a new claims adjuster today. He agreed with what I was saying. He is trying to take over the claim and get me paid!

I'll keep you up to date.

13. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I see from your marketplace thread you still haven't been paid. Have they offered any information up as of late? What sort of business did you run?

14. 184550 Guest

Immoral is not the same as illegal.

You cannot prove this beyond a reasonable doubt given we're talking about the future where anything can/ could have happened. Why should BP pay for something neither you nor they can prove?

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not supportive of what BP is doing to you and countless others in the Gulf. However, if you are about to get coverage of your personal struggle it is helpful to think about the possible gaps in your argument and what other less caring individuals might say in response to your claims. Personally, I would have chosen my words differently.

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

What I was talking about was the fact that since 47% of my business was tourist, they should have taken that into consideration when calculating the claim since we are a tourist community.

Either way, it doesn't matter. It has been almost 80 days since the first check. They paid the first month and have found every excuse not to since.

Excuses like.....
    We don't have your business plan
    We don't have your missions statement
    We don't have your core values
    We don't have your P&L reports even though they do. Three times they have been sent to them
    You live to far away from the beach to file a claim. I guess 200 yards off the beach is to far
    Your business is to far away from the beach to file a claim. I guess 200 yards is to far from the beach.
    Over 30% of your clients are Real Estate and we aren't paying claims to Real Estate companies. Yet my clients have received checks. Well the first one, but never the second.

They just are trying to delay as long as they can.

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

And have you tried getting compensation off Transocean considering they were the company that owned the Rig ? Love how people like to Blame BP because it's not an American company :rolleyes:

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

People blame BP (and transocean and what was once called Halliburton) because they subverted regulations and safety protocols in a way that resulted in millions upon millions of gallons of oil being spilled into the Gulf of Mexico.

Not because they aren't an American company.

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And that BP is more well known to the American public then Transocean.

It's just like if Foxcon does something inhumane to its employees while assembling iPhone's, Apple will get the blame because people know Apple better.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither is Transocean.

It was a rig built in Korea, registered in the Marshall Islands, owned by a company in Switzerland and leased to a company in Britain.

The only thing in this whole mess that belongs to the US are the waters and beaches the damn thing ruined.

20. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Could that reply have been possibly more smug and insensitive? I don't think so.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It could only have been more smug and insensitive if said with a British accent!

22. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, this thread kind of exploded.

Let me see if I can address this. Mcrain, your an attorney so back me up on this, and if I am wrong tell me.

But when BP leased the rig from Transocean they assumed all liabilities that would come from failure to maintain the rig in accordance with proper safety guidelines.

So for someone to say to me go after them, that would not work. They had no liability in what happened. Transocean did not drill the well, BP did. BP is libel for this spill. We are not blaming BP because they are not an American company, we are blaming them because they screwed up and caused the spill. It was their failure to maintain the well in a proper manner that caused this.

Frankly how dare you suggest that we as a country, of us as victims of this are only seeking restitution for this because BP is a British company. That is just ridiculous.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If Transocean knew, or should have known, that BP was operating their rig in a manner considered unsafe, wouldn't they be liable as well?

IIRC, officials from all the companies involved were on board the rig at various times, and had access to the operating logs, personnel, etc. I don't think it would be a far stretch to hold Transocean liable also.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry