My ISP has blocked a certain site. How to use VPN and access it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stanny, Jan 31, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

I was told I needed to use VPN to access that blocked site. Anybody know of a free service and methods on how to do it on Mac OSX? I am quite new to this.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless you have previously been given credentials (username/password) to that site, you're not getting in. It's a private network you're trying to access, and you need to tunnel in using a VPN client. Your ISP isn't doing anything.

3. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no idea what you're talking about. There's a web site, say youtube and this new country which I am in has blocked it. I accessed youtube fine back in my home country. Can I use this "VPN" thing to access youtube?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

VPN is Virtual Private Network. For example, a network at a corporate office can be accessed by employees when directly connected, but when trying to connect remotely, such as from home, they have to use a VPN client that acts to prevent outside users from getting in, unless they have the proper credentials to do so.

So, not only do you have to have a client, you must have the proper credentials once connected anyway.

The short answer is no, you cannot access it.

5. enberg macrumors regular

Uhm, there are commercial VPN providers that let's you use their networks to connect to the internet via their servers. All you need is for your ISP to not block the VPN provider.

6. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

I just accessed the blocked site through a VPN service called hotspotshield. It says on their site "100% Security Through a VPN". Looks like your short answer turned out to be wrong JNB. Although it is a little slow. Are there any other free ones?

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

If you had access to a VPN in another country, you could theoretically tunnel in if they enabled you and gave you credentials. IF they owner of that VPN in turn had a client running on their network that allowed browser access, you could in turn use that remote access to open a browser and access YouTube. You would, in essence, be accessing YouTube from the other country instead of the one you're in.

Most VPN's are private corporations, but their are some public VPNs out there that you can subscribe to. Google it.

Try http://unblockvpn.com/ Not free. All VPNs tend to be slow. The free ones tend to be worse because of overuse of the bandwidth.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Considering you gave little to no specifics, I'm not surprised. More detail in the question = better answers.

Free VPN Clients

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You get what you pay for...

10. coops macrumors regular

Easiest quick free thing to try would be to use Firefox browser and get the foxyproxy add-on.... choose a proxy country server of your choice - good for thr bbc player too.....

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much any VPN is going to be slow compared to a "normal" connection. Try Tor.

12. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Yes, TOR is probably the most secure way to do this.

Get Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html
    with the Torbutton addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2275
    and this TOR client: http://www.torproject.org/vidalia/

It will be noticeably slower, but as far as I know it's the best option. If you're just trying to bypass an ISP firewall, it works, but might be overkill. If you've got something important to hide, it's a good start, but you should read up on PGP encryption as well.