My Japanese iPad 4G 32GB White (Mini Review w/ Pics)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by svalentine, Mar 15, 2012.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

This morning I went to Softbank in Tokyo to pick up my brand new iPad 4G. How it works in Japan is you can either pay for the unit out right, or go with 24 installments. I opted to go with the installments, since it was interest free and a 2 year contract is required either way. So I'm paying about 40 bucks a month for the iPad itself and unlimited internet. Currently Softbank doesn't support 4G through the device, so I'm stuck using it on 3G until they upgrade their network. They do have an option to purchase a 4G wifi router, but i decided that the 3G will hold me over, so I can maintain a clean look.

The iPad itself is absolutely amazing. This is my first iPad and the first thing I noticed was the display. Just like my iPhone 4, its simply perfect. I'm going to sync the device now and play with it for a bit. If you have any questions let me know. I attached a couple pictures of it.

Attached Files:

2. intofx macrumors regular

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

4. Database macrumors member

"The iPad itself is absolutely amazing."

Wow... what a review ;)

5. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

The 'i've got my new iPad and want to show it off' thread.

How many of these are we going to see today?

6. Papillo macrumors member

LOL a ton..

7. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I guess as many as "The I've got nothing better to do than go to web forums and be a kill joy" posts.

8. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

You should stop doing it then

9. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

10. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

Yes

11. yukster macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity, did you pre-order it or did you just go in and buy it? If you did preorder it, when did you do it?

I put my reservation in on Monday, and they didn't call me yet... I am wondering if I should go in after work and see if they have it...

12. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the Softbank in Harajuku on the 15th to pre order it around 5PM. They told me they will be getting in 16GB and 32GB models on the 16th, with the 64GB model to follow on a later unknown date. So I just went down there this morning, the 16th, at 8AM and picked it up. :)

13. yukster macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I pre-ordered a 64GB at Bic Camera, so I maybe out of l maybe out of luck... I may just drop by to, just to check out the demo units... Wish me luck! :D

14. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

did you go for the 4G model? Good luck:)

15. yukster macrumors newbie

Yup, 4G. I've had pretty good luck pre-ordering Apple products at Bic Camera in the past, so I am hoping they will have one ready for me.:cool:

16. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome I hope you're able to get it. I'm on it right now in Shibuya Starbucks. I feel like I have everything in my hands, especially with iCloud.

17. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I preordered mine and Yamato delivered in the morning. Wifi only; didn't wanted SB anymore and use my Xi router instead.

The 4G story is a bit disappointing as its the SIM lock. I really had hope they get over it; even more when "the other" company (with the S in the name) offer LTE tablets. but fine; wifi only this time.

Display: amazing !!

18. Yggbert macrumors regular

Somewhat off topic but interested in knowing - can I easily swap between Japanese and English keyboards with this thing? Quite important!

19. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

No problem ... I also use German ... Three keyboards ... As many as you like

20. Yggbert macrumors regular

Great! Can you switch on the fly or do you have to go into the settings each time?

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

One for every message by people who post when FedEx/UPS changes their package status.:D

22. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

On the fly with the "globe" key on the keyboard 東京都渋谷区 and back to English ... In milli seconds

23. Yggbert macrumors regular

Fantastic. Thanks!

24. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using the voice dictation for this we'll see how it goes. Were you able to get your iPad?

25. Yggbert, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

Yggbert macrumors regular

Yep!