My jeans ruined my canvas messenger bag, do I have a right to complain to Guess?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XciteMe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

I bought a pair of bootcut jeans from Guess with a very dark blue wash.

Very nice jeans, but on the first day I wore them, I also wore my canvas messenger bag from Fossil ($90 bag) and halfway through the day (around lunch) I looked at the back of my bag, and where it was resting against my thigh/leg, was brushed with blue.

It won't come out.

If I go back to Guess with the pair of jeans and my messenger bag, and tell them how upset I am, will they pay me $90 to replace my bag?

Just wondering what you'd do in this situation??

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably not. They might give you store credit, though.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

that really sucks! i have the same thing happen to sneakers where the denim color rubs off onto my shoes. the tags in the jeans might say they bleed.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A little bit of info you seemingly left out ... did you wash the jeans prior to wearing them and did you follow the instructions on the label? Do you really think Guess is not going to have some defense for this? Even if it is just a $90 bag and a < $100 pair of jeans? Please.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

6. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

IDK if they'd give me store credit because the jeans weren't ruined, they are fine, it's the bag that's all blue, and it's not from Guess. So IDK.

Some of you may say "Why don't you call them and ask?" Well I know they'd tell me it's not their fault... The reason I made this thread was to ask, if It's worth it to raise hell and demand they reimburse me. I know for some retail stores if you raise hell they eventually just give in.

Nope, like an idiot I didn't wash them first.

Partly my fault I guess. :( Damn I'm just gonna buy a new messenger bag, things like that irritate me since I have OCD.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Totally your fault actually.
    Who buys jeans and doesn't wash them first? You do that to a) get rid of any possible color transfer onto other clothes like t-shirts b) to know you're wearing clean jeans.

I would just call it character of the bag. Really. I like it when casual bags look more used anyway. Or drop the murse all together. :D

8. nastebu macrumors 6502

It is entirely on you. The tag warns you this might happen. You can go raise he'll if you lke. And maybe even wear them down and get something. But that would be a jerky thing to do.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

did you wash the jeans before you wore them?

EDIT: I didnt read lol

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course you can complain. if you expect them to care or do something about it then i would be surprised, and even more surprised if they did.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hate to say it OP, but I think you are out of luck. It is doubtful Guess will do anything.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems like they are saying that dark denim isn't set and will bleed.

But call the store that sold it, and they may have a service that'll clean the bag for you. Seems some of the high-end stores do this when customers complain about jean dye transfer.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Those instructions lead me to believe I am not fancy enough to wear guess. That's just too much freaking work!

14. saxman macrumors 6502

I think I have the same bag and issue too. My jeans were at least a year old though. Bought a $90 fossil messenger bag, a few days later I noticed blue marks. Don't know what brand the jeans are though... I'm not into that sort of thing.

Didn't think much about it until this thread. I suppose you should avoid canvas messenger bags by fossil with dark blue jeans.

...and yes, I have washed my jeans a time or two during my year of ownership of them

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not just canvas bag, imagine the people with hundreds or thousands in purse expense or shoes having the same thing happen.

Though there are a lot of people with BMWs complaining about dye transfer, though for leather there are dye removal processes and cleaners.

Dyed cotton/canvas is a little tougher since some removal processes can bleach the fabric requiring recoloring. Though it isn't red dye from food or drinks so it might be easier to get out.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed, and overpriced imo.

17. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to me with a $150 pair of white Nike AirMax sneakers..

I wouldn't even think of writing the jean company for my own stupidity, haha..

seriously, lesson learned - and hopefully this thread will save countless others from succumbing to the same miserable demise.. :)

18. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, did the same thing really happen to you??? That's freaky ;p

19. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Guess is actually usually very good about replacing items bought from there. My friend once had a purse that came apart a couple months later and took it in and they gave her a new one. It happened twice and they let her pick out a new one at no cost.

.....but their jeans have it on the label that the color may transfer. All dark jeans I've bought from there (and most anywhere else) say that.

Edit: Also a friend once bought a brand new Coach purse, it was a glossy white color. Her jean jacket (not sure what brand) transferred some dye onto it. She was friends with the manager at coach and they cleaned it for her for free.

20. manneca macrumors newbie

If you are OCD,you'da washed them. If you didn't then you're not OCD, so it doesn't matter.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who buys jeans and doesn't wash them before wearing? :confused:

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^ People who aren't really OCD about things like this, but say they are. ;)

Totally agreed. Things that looked like you used them also look cool. There are a lot of things that look nicer when they're new, but bags, including canvas bags, aren't one of them. Sometimes, clean looks lame.

That's the answer.

Solution: Keep your bag, or buy a new one with your own money.

23. JsR macrumors regular

I thought you are advised to wash jeans prior to wearing them simply for this reason...?
    I forgot, and when I wore some new jeans with £175 pair of UGG boots...my UGG's turned blue - I ended up selling them on eBay haha

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just keep the bag and call it vintage. People used to pay $149 for bleached stained Abercrombie & Fitch jeans back in the day. The dark denim poop stain look on messenger bags is the latest fad and you started it!

Should of thanked your jeans profusely for making you get rid of UGG boots. ;)

25. JsR macrumors regular