My journey from I5 to Lumia 920 to I5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconeight, May 12, 2013.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I got bored with IOS and thought I would try WP8 and picked up a lumia 920. I actually really like the OS and the hardware. Its a bit heavy but you get use to it really quick. I would have been ok loosing the wireless charging for less weight though. I didn't like that you Microsoft has no iTunes like download service. You have the ability to buy music but thats it no movies or shows. You would think that it is or could be a big money maker for Microsoft. Nokia and WP8 have some pretty cool apps and I wasn't missing anything except USAA, CNN with live feed, and iMessage. A lot of people I know use iMessage and I really miss seeing the delivered and read receipts.
    Since I cam back I noticed a real weakness with the iPhone 5. The battery life is horrendous. My Nokia was lasting and at about 30% when I went to bed. I am struggling to get past 7:30 with the iPhone. The screen on the iPhone has aged compared to the vibrant and pretty good colors on the Nokia.
    I really missed my iOS ecosystem and its that, that makes leaving or moving away from iPhone the the hardest thing to do.

2. NewYork88 macrumors member

NewYork88

Every time I venture away from a iPhone everyone in my Family screams because of not having iMessage .With 9 other lines on my Family plan and all being iPhones,plus most others I'm in day to day contact with having iMessage I'd say just iMessage is a huge factor in switching/not switching to another platform. The delivered/read receipts is a great feature.

3. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Damn that iMessage!

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The way under iMessage, it really kind of hurt users here in the states. Almost immediately after ts launch, carriers all got to dog all of their text packaged. Except the pricey unlimited one. That's a pretty good place to be in for Apple; people feel they NEED iMessage. I certainly don't care either way for a couple of reasons. First, my friends and family use a multitude of devices. In fact, only four of my regular contacts use iPhones, and two of them are on my family plan with unlimited messaging anyway. While I do really love that there is no limit to message length, most. Soren phones do a good job stitching things together. It's a minor inconvenience for me not having it.

My biggest problem with windows phone 8 was the lack of changing alert tones and uploading your own. I can pick from preloaded, but I can't assign each contact different tones. Also, there really isn't as much interaction between windows 8 and wp8 as I expected. In fact, there is almost none. On skin level, one would expect these two platforms to speak with each other nicely. I found that, aside from looks, they really don't share much of anything from a user perspective. I realize no other desktop OS does this, but it was a real let down with windows. I was really hoping for something more than just a theme.

As far as the weight and size comment, much of that has rondo with the camera lense, and not wireless charging capability. Te camera actually sits inside a box with springs that help act as a stabilizer. If you have ever taking video while walking or otherwise moving, you can see just how well this, along with some software magic, works. The wireless charging hardware is actually quite small and light. If you've ever seen other Nokia models that have them in the removable shell (lumia 820 is an example), you would see just how light and thin the addition is. The weight added is negligible.

5. TooLowToZero macrumors newbie

I also have a Nokia Lumia as a spare and like yourself wanting to try something different. Having spent many frustrating hours trying to sync my music to the Nokia I have given up. Back to the same old saying "it just works" on my iPhone.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If I recall correctly (don't currently have a windows phone device) it's a simple drag and drop. Is that not working for you?

If you run osx, you need an app.