My keyboard wont work. I gota get my top case replaced. has anyone else had to? HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snoogans925, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Snoogans925 macrumors newbie

Snoogans925

So, a month or so ago, I was online stumbling around the internet, when, while on a website the cursor just stopped moving. Moving my finger around on the trackpad did nothing... clicking, typing, all was futile. So i thought maybe i was on a website that took too long to load or something and my computer froze, so i did a force power off.

When i turned it back on, still nothing. and and i put a password on my laptop, so i couldn't even get to my desktop to check my mouse/keyboard prefs to see if there was a problem there.

Then i got an idea. I ran to my room and grabbed my wacom tablet and mouse (which before this, i never used the mouse. but now, about 2 months into it, i love using. but i digress...) and low and behold, it works! unfortunately, it still does me no good because i didn't have a keyboard that uses USB at the time. So i went the rest of the day with out "Eve" my loveley electronic counterpart. Which was heartbreaking because it was only about noon when this happened, so i went almost 24 hours without her. sure, i could have used the desktop PC my family uses, but it's the principal of the thing.

So i call apple and she has my try hitting a certain combonation of keys on the keyboard (Which baffled me, because i told her that the keyboard is non responsive.) and nothing worked so she told me to make an appointment to see an apple genius, which i did.

Ookay, now down to the reason i posted this in the first place... Right now, I have to use my Wacom tablet and connect a USB keyboard (cuz I'm not sure if a wireless one will work with the keyboard on my laptop not working) so you can imagine how much of a pain it is to set up. I rarely ever take Eve anywhere now because, of how much of a hassle it is just to get her set up.

So, my question is, has anyone ever had to replace their top case? The Apple genius told me it was gonna cost $300+ to repair it. And does anyone think that when i do have it replaced, do you think they can give me a newer top case, so I can have the newer multitouch trackpad, or am i just gonna have to stick with the older trackpad? I don't mind staying with it, i just thought the multitouch feature was really cool.

Anyways, sorry for being so long winded, it's late and I'm running on bawls and full throttles right now, lol. So if anyone can tell me some tales of getting their own top cases replaced and whether it was easy or a pain in the ass, I'd appreciate it. something I'd appreciate even more is if someone could tell me how to fix it without having to replace the top case, which i don't think is possible, but hey, worth asking right?

Thanks all.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How old is your Mac? I mean, repairing the keyboard should be covered under warranty if you have. As far as the top case, its a cosmetic issue that will always be charged.

You can look over at ifixit for handy tutorials on DIY top case replacements and they even sell you the parts to do it!:apple:

3. Clearercape macrumors newbie

Top case replacement

Hi There
    Picked your posting up a bit late so I don't know what you may have done.

Getting a new one from apple is quite expensive.

Depending on the machine it is quite easy to pick up a broken mac on ebay and replace your top casing. It is quite easy to do. (I have done a few) Just need the correct tools.

If you are not sure what to do just let me know.

Good luck.

4. Snoogans925 thread starter macrumors newbie

Snoogans925

unfortunately, I probably won't have this problem fixed for a while, since I'm currently between jobs. So even if it was a $50 fix, it'd still bee too expensive, lol. But yah, the mac genius i brought it to, said it would be about $300 to fix.

And as far as a warrenty goes, mine expired. I got my laptop around sept of 07.