My laptop never leaves my desk, but I want a Mac. Advice please.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cloroxat, Jan 14, 2012.

1. cloroxat macrumors newbie

I'm ready to make the leap from PC to Mac. My laptop never leaves my desktop. I don't game, don't listen to music. Whilst at home, I only use my computer for e-mail, ebay, and general web browsing, but I would like to start streaming video from Netflix (and want to own something dependable)....I've always heard so many great things about Macs so I need a bit of help deciding what to buy. I've read the page regarding exactly which one to buy, but I'm not much of a technophile, and am not knowledgeable about all the specs put forth, so I'm hopeful, based on the sparse bit of info. I've provided, someone might feel comfortable making a suggestion........thanks.........scott

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A Mac mini would work quite well, as would any other Mac model.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

get an iMac ... or maybe if you had the battery life of a MBP ... you might use your computer on the go more often

4. Damo01 macrumors regular

any of the low ends mac models will do just fine for your need.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

6. cloroxat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty frugal, but when it comes to buying something that'll last, money's not really that critical. I'd rather pay more and get something I'm really going to be happy with. I can go well over a thousand or fifteen hundred if that'll get me what I need. If not, I'll go more.....thanks.........s.

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i would also second the imac. the mac mini would also be great, but my vote goes to the iMac, though the mac mini would be the cheaper option.

As for the magic mouse vs. magic trackpad problem you will have to decide on, it's quite hard to say actually. Many people have used both and many people love both. I suggest trying it out yourself at an Apple store or something so you know which is best for you, but if you don't care, you can buy both for $69 dollars on the Apple website [not really a bargain, i believe this is the typical price of either product]

And finally, Apple Care. I don't have Apple Care on my MBP, so it's up to you. Many people have their own opinions on either side, so yeah.. :)

Welcome to the dark, oops, i mean light side!!! :p

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

The mini wouldn't necessarily be much cheaper. Since it sounds like the OP has a Windows laptop, they would need a monitor, keyboard and possibly mouse. A half decent monitor and those accessories bump you close to the base iMac range for a sleek all-in-one design.

I also say get the iMac. I'm somewhat the same way - I almost never move my MacBook much and am tempted to get a desktop for my next computer and just keep my old MB around when I need to be detached (as long as it doesn't die on me).

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Base iMac gets my vote.

Don't forget to check out refurb deals also

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Another vote for the base iMac. I think that it would suit your needs best.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend an iMac as well. Quite powerful and capable to execute the tasks you specified. It will also set out up for the future in that it will last a long time given the performance.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If it's NEVER going to "leave your desk", an iMac might be a better choice than a laptop.

I recommend that you try to "preview" both the 21" and 27" iMacs before you buy.

You may want to spend the extra money for the 27"....

Also, there are rumors of a new iMac design within the coming 2 or 3 months, just something to be aware of...

15. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

Even for mainly desktop use, I would seriously take the 17 inch macbook pro in consideration.
    It's a perfect machine with a great display, and will make watching/streaming video a pleasant experience! I would opt for the anti-glare, no matter if watching media is your main focus.

And trust me: You will surely enjoy the possibility to take it to the sofa, the table, outside or also to bed.
    If you want, you can still hook it up to an inexpensive external display, or to TV via hdmi.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the sky is the limit, I guess a Mac Pro would pretty much about last forever. And you wouldn't have to worry about specs.

17. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

21" or 27" iMac if money isn't an issue. Perfect for your needs.