My late '08 MBP died on me this week. Which rMBP model should I go for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zooby, Jan 5, 2016.

1. zooby, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. dk206 macrumors regular

How did it die? My mbp mid 2010 died on me to the other week. It would run for 2 sec and auto shutdown. Fans don't run just the HDD then bam - off :(

3. zooby, Jan 5, 2016

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Yeah PowerBookMedic offers a full service repair for $344 on any 13.3" MacBook/MacBook Pro or $249 if you just send the logic board. I think if my logic board died I could find this same model for cheaper than $344 these days (as a complete functioning unit), so it's simply not worth it.

5. zooby, Jan 5, 2016

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just to say apple didn't take too long intel has not released the appropriate chips for the rMBP's yet, apple want the chips with the vastly superior integrated graphics and intel just haven't got them out yet.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Honestly broadwell cpu's work just fine and while skylake is better I wouldn't wait on it. For me I rather get a discount on the pro 13 which I did ( also for the 15 inch at bestbuy) then get one with a skylake cpu imo.

8. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Yes, you are not likely to be missing much by upgrading with a Broadwell machine now and having a computer that will be outdated soonish beats not having a computer all. Unless you can scrape by on something ultra cheap like a chromebook (I tried that when my freebie college computer died) for a few months, it's not worth it to wait.

I doubt you'll need the dedicated GPU. None of the things you listed even call for that card. Things are different now than in 2008, Intel's on board graphics chips are actually pretty good even for gaming (as long as you temper your expectations). That said, if the difference for you between the $2000 and $2500 is only going to be $70, might as well, right?

The one thing that sucks about the new MacBooks is that they are much harder to service. For me I would get a 13'' and invest in some Apple care. Even if you don't have any issues, just before the policy expires in a few years you could have a general maintenance and inspection and see if Apple wants to put any new parts in to keep you going another 3-5.

Whether you go 13'' or 15'' a new Mac is going to run circles around your old one even with the upgrades you did. The quad core isn't going to be any more future proof than the dual core if you aren't running anything to take advantage of it and both machines will run Lightroom very well.