My late 2009 iMac is making clicking/cracking noises from the bottom-right hand corne

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GMsrgr8, Oct 24, 2011.

1. GMsrgr8 macrumors newbie

The noise occurs less and less after startup, suggesting that it is a component warming up and expanding. After a couple of minutes, the noise becomes very sporadic, until I don't hear the noise again.

What could be making this noise? Anyone else experience it? Is it an issue? And what's the fix?

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

There's a speaker and a fan in that corner. If it's the fan, then it would likely be because something is floating around inside the fan. If it's the speaker... well... that would be more complicated. Plug in headphones. See if you hear it through the headphones. See if the problem goes away if you mute the sound. See if the sound is coming from the far right corner.

3. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions...

I don't think it's a speaker noise, but I will test this.
    It does only occur when the iMac is warming up (I know this having watched the temperature with smcFanControl).

I had a theory it might be dust accumulation in the fan, especially as it didn't use to make this noise. Is this a possible cause for the noise?

Thanks

4. GMsrgr8, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

O.K. – the noise is still present when the speakers are muted. Having listened carefully, the sound seems to be coming from about a 3rd of the way in from the right edge (looking at the screen), at/just above the Apple logo's height. I have to say, it does sound like something physically clicking, rather than electrical.

So, any new thoughts anyone?

Thanks

5. fortygreen macrumors newbie

Did you ever find out what was causing the noise? My late 2009 imac has started making similar noises.

6. GMsrgr8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope

No, not least because it seems to have (at least mostly) stopped now. Might know if that means it was something small rattling around inside the fan casing, and that has now cleared.

But I'm afraid, other than my guesses, I can't help with diagnosis.