My Late 2013 2.6/8/256 MacBook Pro is running slow on macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Plenty of SSD space left, enough RAM, CPU isn't being bogged down

What to do?

2. treekram macrumors 65816

If you just upgraded to 10.12.6, wait at least a few hours with the computer operating and turn the computer of and on again and see if that makes a difference. If you went from a previous version (El Capitan, etc.) to Sierra, post that information.

If this doesn't help, run in Safe Mode and see if that makes a difference.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If not, use the Activity Monitor app to see if your CPU, memory or disk is being taxed (it sounds like you may have already done this).
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I just feel like it's gotten slower and slower for no real reason.

I only use it for internet browsing and basic apps like notes, mail, and so on.

I've had sierra for awhile.

Also, what will safe mode do?

4. treekram macrumors 65816

Safe mode will not load 3rd-party kernel extensions and plug-ins which could a source of the slowdown your experiencing. Some of these will run even when the associated application isn't running or when you're not actively using it. That's why if you run without them, it can give you an idea as to whether that's a possible issue or not. Websites now (depending on how many and what type of ads they have) can take quite a bit of CPU. If you run the Activity Monitor app, then start up what browser you use, then add multiple tabs with "rich-content" websites, you can see how much of the CPU that takes. There is nothing in Sierra alone that would make a late-2013 MBP slow. So it comes down to the hardware and software you have. But there are many possible causes for what you're experiencing. If you still have issues in safe mode and the hardware resources (as observed in the Activity Monitor app) aren't being overly taxed, you may want to visit the Genius Bar at an Apple Store (call or an appointment) if it's convenient and see if they can suggest anything - they have diagnostic tools not available to the general public.