My latest addiction: Prisencolinensinainciusol

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Knowlege Bomb, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you haven't watched this, I suggest you check it out.

http://www.wikio.com/video/1858405

I watch it at least once daily. Very catchy.

Edit: Nothing. Wow. I thought with the number of views on YouTube this would get more attention here.

Ah well. Can't win em' all.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

That was pretty awesome :D

It seems like it's just foreign people trying to talk/sing like "americans do".

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OMG!!!

That is awesome.

Growing up this is exactly what I thought American English sounded like. Heck, that is how I "spoke" it.

This is a gem! :D

4. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

From what I've read that was the goal of the song. I've always kind of wondered how we sound to foreigners, the same way I wonder what my accent sounds like to somebody who grew up somewhere else.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This song is how I speak German, French and Russian today. :p

Anybody found a way to make this video into an mp3? I'm not having much luck with ffmpeg or iTube. :(

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's not a free program, but WireTap Studio will turn anything with audio on your computer into a music file. It's a really cool program if you need this kind of thing on a regular basis.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's pretty interesting, it made me laugh ... should I be laughing at that?

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I should check if they have a trial, as I don't need this that often. :eek:

Oh yes you should be.

I am watching it again on my iPhone right now. :p

This has been playing in my head since the first time I saw it yesterday. :eek:

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's cool! I didn't get it at first because I often mishear song lyrics anyway.

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Audio Hijack Pro is a similar program which I went to from Wiretap... It actually lets you record just from certain programs, so if you choose Firefox and click record, and you have a system alert in the Finder, it won't pick it up.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

^^^ that sounds cool. I've had to scrap recordings in the past due to the occasional system sound since WireTap records everything coming through your sound card.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I shall give both a run tonight. I NEED to have this song.

iTunes Store has some lame version of it, booooooooo.

13. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

:cool: Cool freakin' beat and song. ksdnushfsmksuwtfpqmzdh, you know?:confused:

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think my head is going to explode from this, it is playing in there over and over and over and .... :eek:

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

That's what my 1 year old hears when I talk! I think I had the same look on my face during the song that she gives to me when I ask her if she wants to put her shoes on. Funny.

16. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

That was very annoying. I couldn't make it all the way through. I also don't like the sound of singing in actual English, hrm. :(

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

+1,000

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Okay, I finally got home and was able to watch the video. It's very catch, but in all honesty I don't get it. Why would English sound any more like gibberish to someone who doesn't speak it than any other language would sound to someone who doesn't speak it. I'm not fluent in any other language than English and when I hear Italian, Spanish, Chinese, etc. etc. it all sounds like gibberish to me. Am I missing something?

19. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I was able to download it with Acqlite (awesome p2p, btw). You can get it that way, or just pm me and I'll email it, since it's not available thru iTunes.:apple:

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I don't speak French, Spanish, or German, for example. But I can pick out that someone is speaking French, Spanish, or German, based on the sounds. I have no idea what they are saying, but I can tell they are speaking, say, German. So it might come as a great shock to me (or not?) to discover that they are in fact NOT speaking German, but are speaking gibberish, just cleverly designed to sound like German.

This would be the same thing, but to non-English speakers. They would hear the song and say "Oh yes, that must be English". But to you and I, who do speak English, we can tell it's nonsense.

21. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's normal, far as I can tell.

It's the dancing that gets me every time. It's so good and so bad at the same time.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Notjustsay, I see your point, but was that the purpose of the song? Obviously, I'm ignorant as to the artist's intent? HA, got ya, it's not really English. I guess the humor is just lost on me. It's still catchy as all get out though.

23. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

"In an interview, Celentano explains that the song is about "incommunicability" because in modern times people are not able to communicate to each other anymore. He added the only word we need is prisencolinensinainciusol, which is supposed to stand for "universal love."

The discussion of this meaning to show English speakers how English would sound to someone who doesn't speak it originated from comments on the various sites it's posted.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Not sure what this guy was smoking when he came up with this, but very creative! :D