My List Of Idiot Politicians

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Feel free to post your own, but if you do, please list some factual basis for your opinion.
    My list starts out as a list of 1, but there will be more. :p

Rep Mo Brooks (R Ala)- 15Feb17 on MSNBC was talking about the Flynn situation said the most important thing was the possible illegality of and the reporting of these leaks. When shown a lengthy video of Trump praising Wikileaks on multiple occasions during his campaign, and asked about double standards, he ignored it and not to disappoint, he managed to accuse Obama of overthrowing Libya! :rolleyes::oops::oops:

It's a real issue when Republicans try to make excuses for wrong doing today on their side by referencing real fake news from yesterday regarding their political adversaries. I'm sorry but you can't use Obama and Hillary as a way of mitigating wrong doing going on today by your team.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Congressman Hank Johnson Jr.
    Democrat from Georgia.
    IMG_0089.JPG

This vapid idiot thinks Guam will actually capsize.

4. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

How about every politician that has ever lived in the world;)

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

She is a dope for sure.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    I think Al Frankken should get a mention as well.

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You guys are blowing it when you name someone without substantiation...

Al Frankin? Your reasoning other than he started a career as a comedian before being a U.S. Senator? My understanding is that he is an effective Senator who is well liked in his home State.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    For what it's worth:

After video of the exchange went viral on the Web, the two-term Democrat released a statement Thursday explaining that he was "obviously" joking.

"The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island," Johnson said in the statement
    . (LINK)

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Do you really believe that he was joking?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I do.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What a silly post.

Some politicians have been excellent, and most are a reflection of the societies that give rise to them, as - in democracies at least - they have been elected to office by an electorate.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't know. If I give the guy benefit of doubt, he may have an inappropriate sense of humor for a setting like that.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think it's a stretch to think this guy spent over 2 minutes during a senate hearing to tell an awkward joke with no punchline. He obviously thought that Island could tip over, which is pretty stupid.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Some people seems to fail to see that at times, politicians are true statesmen that work hard to bring their country from where it is to where it should be. However, one of my favorite quotes is: "90% of politicians give the other 10% a bad name."

15. Scepticalscribe, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

However, I wouldn't put that figure as high as 90%. Rather - in most European democracies - I'd put it as low as between 20-30% - and, in some countries, perhaps as high as 40%. Not much higher.

Again, my point stands - in democracies, electorates elect those people, and choose to do so. We are not living in the former communist world, with one party slates, or elective dictatorships, or "an autocracy tempered by assassination" as used to be joked about Tsarist Russia, - we are living in representative democracies, and, if we elect corrupt clowns, or incompetent ones, or ones with conflicting loyalties, that is also our fault.

I have worked with quite a few politicians, and known a number who have held high office.

Most are very human: The vast majority have a rough sense of decency, and some sort of human core and moral compass, even though it may be occasionally wobbly; constituency "clinics" make sure that they stay informed of the concerns of their constituents, - and remain somewhat grounded.

However, in Europe at least, many are fixers, deal-makers, and are those who try to find a way of reconciling what is possible in the art of governance with what is ideal or desirable. Those that are trying to square the circle of the possible with the perfect.

Fixing means negotiation, and negotiation usually means compromise, and trading, and the crafting of deals that sometimes have the input of many sticky thumbprints, meaning that what is finally hammered out is rarely a thing of beauty, but may well work.

But, to my mind, sometimes grubby dealmaking is a skill; thus, for politicians, unless they are actually in the pockets of lobbyists, vested interests, or corporate interests, - or, unless they are ideologues, for whom being right is more important than coming up with policies that work, and so cannot, or will not, compromise, - in general, the political challenge is to craft relatively fair solutions that work best for the greatest number of people.

The main draw back of coming up with compromises and deals is not a lack of political aesthetics - or even political principle - but that, in government, strategic objectives are often overlooked as so much time is spent on the management of day to day problems, and weekly firefighting.

16. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Let's make this more interesting:

Idiot politicians... of the party you support.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

George bush.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ouch.

This hurts. But then, they say, so does the truth. Sometimes.

So, in a UK setting....I give you:

Jeremy Corbyn.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. Just wow. That was painful. Not just the capsize part, but how long he took to inquire about the dimensions of the island. So long and drawn out. I honestly don't know how people hold their composure in front of congress. I don't think I could be so kind. I think in this case I would have laughed in the guy's face and explained to him that islands are not boats and are not floating on the water.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It was very painful to watch. And it wasn't a joke. He was dead ass serious.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Tell us about him. :)

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think you are going about it the wrong way considering most (if not all) politicians are idiots. Instead, write a list of politicians that aren't idiots. It will be very short :).

23. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Agreed. He could have been a much needed, refreshing grassroots revival, and instead he's the clumsiest, most hesitant leader one could imagine. After the Brexit referendum, he had a great opportunity to gain a huge support from "center" voters dismayed with the Tories' drift, but instead it seems he forgot the very narrow results and thought "eh, UKIP and Tories are voting for Brexit, maybe if I support it too I'll get all their voters, I want to play with the other kids too".

Now, any good hypothetical consequences of Brexit will still be credited to the Tories, but he also has equity into any bad consequences. He's also alienated –I'm tempted to say forever– a big part of the Labour voters, and most importantly, younger voters. Lose-Lose-Lose. Well done, Jeremy.

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The optimist in me thinks there are more good than bad, but I don't have anything to rail about talking about the good ones. :p

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Wait, WHAT!?!