My list of "new to Mac" questions...help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juiceman311, Jun 12, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

Okay, so I'm starting to get the feel of Mac OSX I suppose. But I have some questions that would save me some time.

1- I do not like this iChat at all. The whole balloon thing is silly to me. I use AIM, but I don't like the version of AIM for Mac either since it's not tabbed. Is there a chat client that will use tabbed IMing for Mac without balloons?

2- Can I do tabbed browsing with Safari; how?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

1- Although you can't change the shape of the "balloon", you can change the color, font and font color.

2- Yes. Check the options in Safari Preferences, at bottom of General, and in the Tabs prefs. CMD-T creates a new tab. CMD-Shift-T toggles the tab bar.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

1) I suggest using Adium http://www.adiumx.com/
    2) I know you can do it...I'm not the the right key combinations, since I've yet to get a mac :(

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

1) I dont IM much, cant help you there. Lots of ppl swear by Adium, but I dont know if that has what you are looking for

2) from the menu bad: Safari > Preferences > Select Tabs > Check "enable tabbed browsing"

5. banjomamo macrumors regular

if its just the lack of tabs that you dont like about ichat you can download chax and see if it fills the gaps for you.

http://www.ksuther.com/chax/

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It's been mentioned, but I feel the need to hammer it home....

Adium is by far the best IM client for the Mac.

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

when tabbed browsing is enabled as per instructions above, you can also create a new tab by right-clicking on the tab bar and selecting new tab.

8. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I'd like to "third" the vote for AdiumX. It totally rocks. I've used chat clients for Mac OS Classic, Mac OS X, Linux and Windows XP, and of ALL of them (with the exception of doing IRC-based chats) AdiumX is hands-down the absolute number one best of the lot.

You need to enable tabbed browsing in Safari (as has already been mentioned above) and you have another option of keeping the tab bar visible at all times. I recommend this.

OTOH, I also recommend you take a look at either Firefox or (my preference) Opera for Mac. I think they do a more accurate rendering of web pages overall than Safari.

9. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I know it is possible to have the standard AIM type chat in iChat, I just can't remember how at the moment. I did it on my girlfriend's Macbook. She has the plug-in Chax installed and I want to say that I used that, but like I said I am not 100% sure.