My little rant about how incredibly happy I am Adobe's programs don't silently update

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iansilv, Apr 24, 2011.

?

Do you prefer a program to update in the background if possible?

Poll closed May 24, 2011.
  1. Yes! Programs should not bother me for input when updates need to be applied!

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Sometimes- I would like frequently updated programs to just update themselves without my input.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rarely- I just don't trust most software companies to release updates that don't jack my system.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never- you never know when the CIA will slip some tracking **** in to your program!

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. iansilv, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

iansilv macrumors 6502a

I thought I would rant and tell everyone how much I loooove Adobe software’s updating programs! Several months ago I installed Adobe AIR because I wanted a really really robust and speeeeeeedyyyyyy software platform that ran perfectly on all types of systems- and it was required to install eye-fi center.

Today I got a notice to update my Adobe AIR platform program. Oh boy was I glad! I mean, I remember searching for a preference where I could just check “update automatically, silently in the background” when I installed this thing, but now BOY AM I GLAD that Adobe did not let me make that potentially dangerous decision. I mean, how would I have been reminded about Adobe’s existence every 3 days??

I clicked update, like I always do- and wouldn’t you know- I leave! Yep- click update and just walk away from the computer. I think I was going to play with my daughter, or eat something, or whatever- but it was NOT near the computer. So I was enjoying my time- but something was bugging me- wait a sec I thought- did that ADOBE UPDATE COMPLETE??!?!?! I panicked- ran upstairs- swiped the mouse- computer roared back to life- Boom!

THERE WAS THE NOTIFICATION FROM THE ADOBE AIR INSTALLER TELLING ME THAT THE UPDATE WAS COMPLETE!!!! OH WOW OH WOW…

Thank you Adobe for this. Thank you for not including any sort of transparent background updating system in any of your products. It keeps me from wondering, even panicking over the question:

“Did that piece of **** program I was forced to install because the developers were lazy to begin with really completely and totally update itself??”

:D

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Dude, 2 words: De Cafe. :p

I would rather choose to update rather than having it automatically done. Sometimes updates don't play well on older systems.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know but man- it seems like every... single... day it's Adobe Acrobat or AIR or Flash or something that needs a stupid update through a separate program that requires my attention... it just irritated me today...

Adderall coes in Decaf?
    :D

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I don't know if it has been improved recently (I haven't used it in a while), but the Microsoft updater for Office used to drive me mad. It would come up and ask you about updates and then tell you that there weren't any!

5. kolax macrumors G3

This is the one good thing about the App Store. I want it to tell me when there is new updates available in a non-instrusive manner, simply by displaying a badge count (like on iOS and Mac Mail).

I hate applications that run the update checker for me, especially when I want to load the application quickly and check a document. I turn off all automatic updates.

If I was told there was an update available through a small badge that is non obtrusive within the application, then that'd be fine also.

I hate how Adobe puts that stupid Adobe Updater crap on my menu bar without my permission!