My long road to finally deciding getting a fully specced 2014 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cydone, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Cydone, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

Cydone macrumors newbie

I had an old Macbook White early 2006, which has worked like a charm for me for years. Last fall 2013, however, I decided to get a brand new fully specced rMBP 13". A huge upgrade obviously, and I loved it. But after a few months, I started to get annoyed with the keyboard's "clicky clacky" sounds. I had tested a few MBA's and absolutely loved the keyboards. I was under the impression that MBA and rMBP had the same keyboards.

It turns out they dont! The rMBP keyboard has been made with extra mechanics/harder springs, to make it more durable. The result however, is that it has slightly more "resistance" and is a little more"clicky" pushing the keys. While this probably won't be an issue for most, it became one for me.

Try and line up an MBA 13" and a rMBP 13", feel out and listen to the two keyboards. They differ markedly.

Anyway, I ended up selling my rMBP 13", went back to my old and battered Macbook White, and would wait for the rumored 12" Retina MBA.

It didn't arrive with the WWDC, and having decided that if it didn't, I would get a current fully specced MBA, I was thrown into the mental hell of decidiing between an MBA 11" and and MBA 13".

I could get into a huge argument about waiting even longer for the rumored 12" Retina MBA. But while I'm sure it will be pretty cool, it might have a form factor I dont like, less battery life, first edition bugs etc. I need a computer now, and have to act on what I DO know is there.

I am gonna use this comp on the road alot, so for the longest time, I was opting for the 11". It would be perfect for my backpack and for the road. But then arguments on getting the 13" started to fight back.

Longer Battery Life
    Better form factor (for me)
    SD card access
    Bigger screen size
    Only a few 100 grams heavier
    It will be my main comp
    I dont have an external

These last two arguments put the final nails in the coffin for the 11".

There will be moments when I would have loved to have the 11". But in the long run, wanting to keep this, not just for traveling, but as my main comp while at home, I do believe this is the stronger move. I might too be looking at the rumored 12" Retina MBA with longing eyes, when it finally arrives. But Ill be happy knowing that I have bought what is generally considered to be one of the best laptops ever made by human hands. :cool:

2. SmOgER, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

All I can say is there many people regretting getting the 11inch model and only a few regretting after purchasing 13inch. The difference in screen size is really noticable, not to mention the battery, and I can't think of anything where size of 13inch would be a problem. As we know MBAs are super slim, so as long as your bag has at least 33cm width and 23cm depth, it will fit no problem :D
    In weight the difference between them is 300g. Maybe noticeable but not a deal breaker.

The only real advantage of 11inch which I personally see, is the convenience of using it while walking in the streets, although I wouldn't recommend that.
    Other than that, when you are sitting or standing, or slowly walking in a room or whatever, there is absolutely no problem with using 13 inch.

3. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I've got both, a 2011 13" and a 2013 11" - and why do I keep both? No real practical reason, just emotional, as I can't stand to sell the 13". Apple did a genius job in positioning the two machines - both so similar yet so different at the same time.

To me, the 11" is what the Air is all about - the ultimate road warrior tool - all the capabilities in a very light and thin form factor with a no-compromise keyboard. Just throw it in your bag, you hardly notice it's there.

Since I travel a lot, the 11" is perfect - especially working in cramped spots like the economy class seat.

The 13" is great too - but a lot less portable.

I would think most important factor to consider in your use case is how much you travel.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Not so sure about this. There are several threads here to the contrary. Both are very nice machines. I had a 2011 13" MBA but as time went by, I wished I had gotten the 11". When I had the opportunity to sell the 13", I got a 2013 11" MBA and it's my favorite computer of all time.

Just looking at the specs and reading threads here doesn't tell the whole story. The size and weight difference is actually very significant. But I am not going to try and change anybody's mind - it's a very personal choice. All I can say is that after two years with the 13" and one year with the 11", I'm delighted that I switched.

5. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

Oh? That's news to me. Can you provide links of these many people you are referring to? From what I've read among Air owners, its the opposite. I have both a 13 and an 11. While I like the 13", you'll have to use a crowbar to pry my beloved 11" from my hands.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the OP: Congrats and enjoy your new MBA; it is a cracking computer, and I think you will get a lot out of it.

Re the old 11" v 13" debate, I, too have both, and both are fully specced 2013 models (i.e. 8 GB RAM, 512 SSD and Core i7).

I'm with a number of other posters who have posted here; both are brilliant. I love the 13" - great battery life, incredible speed, powerful, fast, and (if retina is not an absolute necessity for you) a wonderful screen.

For portability - and I travel a lot - the 11" is outstanding. Simply outstanding. One hardly knows one is carrying it, and it is exceptionally portable and very powerful, fast and utterly reliable. While the battery is not quite as good as that of the 13", it is still very impressive.