my love affair with the iPhone 4S is over.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsomaniac, Nov 27, 2011.

1. metsomaniac macrumors member

Here I am with my new iPhone and I can't quite feel the same, compared to when I first got it. When it was all new and undiscovered.

I dropped it the other day and joined the elite group of shattered iPhone owners.

Membership into this group, 'Shattered Dreams' was easy, all I had to do was accidentally drop it from 2 1/2 ft. With this I got to experience the sinking feelings of destroying the Oracle.

Sitting at the Genius bar, me on my side, Geniuses on the other, serving up loads of cock and bull tails about how they can't repair the Iphone etc cost me the most expensive drink I had to swallow, £140.

I shan't be ordering from this bar again.

Imagine getting a round in whilst sitting at the bar, there must have been about 6 others who like me, who were looking to getting their shattered phones fixed.

The toxicity of my drink made me question was I right to be annoyed at how fragile my £600 iphone was. I mean people drop things everyday, phones especially.

Surely you cant be expected to drink from the Genius bar every time you drop your iPhone.

In America they have Apple care plus which safeguards you against 2 accidental incidents to your phone, here in Uk , well we haven't got round to that yet.

Perhaps I've accidentally joined another group without realising it having written this post, Apple doubters.

Yesterday I wanted to make a t-shirt to wear outside the apple store warning all the mummies, daddies and expectant children queuing to buy the phone for Christmas about how fragile the iPhone really is.

MIne lasted me 17 days. I hope your's last's longer.

Please join this group and pass it on, tweet it what ever you can to see just how many out there have experienced the same shattered glass. Maybe Apple will take note.

PS.
    Its not really the Oracle, Siri doesn't work 90% of the time. Here in England Siri says No! (referring to the Little Britain comedy line Computer say's No.)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/302180363137672/

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Perhaps the phone is too fragile, perhaps in the madness that is our world people might take a class-action against Apple for selling a product promoted as a mobile device that is innately so fragile.

The reality is quite simple. If you don't have the opportunity to buy AppleCare+, most Telco's will sell you insurance to cover your phone. Most Household-and-Content insurance plans will cover portable electronic devices.

Although I am sorry for your loss and suffering, you could chose to insure your goods.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It sucks you dropped your phone, but don't let that ruin your love affair with it. I can totally relate as I dropped mine two weeks into owning it and suffered damage. My local GB was kind enough to swap it out for a new one (black box).

For the moment I am being very careful with mine, but as soon as I have the cash for an otter box that is wear it will be going. I hate to go non-naked with it, but Id hate even more to drop it again.

As for Siri, it is obviously a beta version that is out now. It works fairly well for some things here in the states, but I look at it as nothing more than a novelty at this point. I am sure the next version of Siri will be both better here and abroad.

4. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Lol, nice writeup.

I see that it was just a two-week fling. I'm sure you won't be too heart broken by this.

5. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

My 2yo daughter threw my brand new 4S into the floor yesterday, it survived without any damage at all actually.. I have dropped my previous iPhones into the floor a lot of times also and they have all survived without any noticeable damage. Maybe i'm just lucky, but i feel that they hold up rather well to be dropped!

6. bollyboy, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

bollyboy macrumors regular

I'm embarrassed to say mine was more short lived than yours.....lol

Had mine delivered from Apple on the Friday of release, dropped from my pocket on the Sunday onto the floor with a Griffin etch case and the screen was demolished.

Phoned Applecare who said take it into the store (Manchester Arndale) and they would replace the screen
    for £90. Great i thought.

Arrived at my 2pm slot only to be told the could not find appointment for me, fortunately had the email from applecare to confirm so that was no problem.

The Genuis guy then said they were unable to fix the broken screen at the present time and he could offer me a replacement for £140 the same as you. I was unhappy about this any spoke with the manager but they just blamed the applecare rep and said she has misinformed me about the £90 screen repair.

I paid the money and just walked off with the new phone.

I understand accidents happen but i had my IP4 since the first week of release dropped it many times with no problems with the same case.

Along with Siri being a waste of time in the UK (yes it's Beta, etc) but in my opinion i should have just stayed with the IP4 and feel the £ spent on the 4S was wasted.

I miss IntelliScreenX too now i've sold the older model:(

7. syc23 macrumors member

Seriously, if you drop something as expensive as an iPhone I would expect to have to pay to have it repaired unless you have insurance to claim. What's all this blameless culture we have here with people dropping it on the ground/toilet/washing machine etc?

I ride a motorbike and drive and nice car, if I crash it and it's my fault, I'm liable at the end of the day. **Touch wood** I haven't because I try and be as careful as I can, both can do excess of 180mph so it's capable of causing major damage - it's all about how responsible you use it.

Take some responsibility for your actions.

Accidents do and can happen and if that is the case then fair enough.

8. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

It is a shame that there is no Apple care plus in the UK, I would buy it.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

From the 2G to 4S, i have dropped countless times, the worst drop was my iphone 4 fell down from my workdesk facing the floor on its front screen. Not even a scratch it resulted.

Guess im being lucky. Lots of dent on the stainless steel band because i dropped my iphone 4 maybe 6-7 times, but never have shattered the glass, just some tiny scratches that no one will notice if u dont let them know.

If u drop something expensive, expect to pay premium to get it fixed, even ferarri cars are fragile, a bit of friction from a trash can could break your heart.

10. palmerized macrumors regular

Dropped my iPhone 4 and it shattered. Apple Store replaced it with a new black box unit for free as a one time "surprise and delight".

I have heard theyre not doing this anymore. My replacement was in August.

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

I dropped my phone so many times by accident, it's still like brand new without a single scratch. The build quality of the iPhone 4 & 4S just sucks, breaks so easy if you drop it. It's crazy that the most expensive phone on the market can't deliver a solid product like the current phone I have now.

If Samsung had phones that break so easily, you'd all be telling how bad the Samsung phones would be :rolleyes:

12. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Every single person I know with a 4 has shattered it at one point - which is kind of incredible. It's a design I'm not going near again.

13. ramsescabello macrumors newbie

14. metsomaniac thread starter macrumors member

The reality is that Samsung do make a stronger phone.

I've had one in the past, just didn't get on with Android. Now as an Apple iphone 4s owner, I have the experience of both and the Apple 4S is definitely not as shatter proof as the samsung.

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

With Samsung, you sacrifice build quality for durability, which is why Apple uses higher quality materials and Samsung uses plastic.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It seems that you are quite successful at your craft :)

17. Coley macrumors member

So...now that I've read this tragic story and am afraid...:p
    has anyone found and used a case that allowed their phones to survive rather intense bumps and falls a few or more times? Really need to get something protective on this thing I think. I dropped my 3GS dozens of times and I'm a very clutzy person. In fact, my body is actually crooked and off balance from a spine problem and I have few options for remedying that save for taking ballet perhaps....:p
    My trusty 3GS, I'm amazed the thing hasn't shattered yet. I dropped it down a flight of stairs the first day I got it. :D I don't see how a 4 or 4S would live to tell that tale....

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've had every iPhone since the first model, and I can count on the fingers of one hand, how many times I've dropped them.
    Before I got an iPhone, I had throwaway feature phones, that I didn't care about, and I was relatively careless with them. Just take more care of your equipment. :)

19. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

With the release of the iPhone 4s, Apple started AppleCare Plus. So from now no, I don't think "surprises" like yours can be expected any more.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sorry to hear about OP's misfortune, but it does indeed suck that one can't get AppleCare+ in the UK. Yes, one could try an alternative insurer, but this is rip-off Britain, and insurance companies here have a habit of taking your money and not reimbursing claims.

I always use a case and a screen protector for my iPhone, and it surprises me that people have uninsured iPhones and use them without additional protection. In any case, perhaps someday Apple will create a model of the iPhone that is truly ruggedized.

21. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I have owned an iPhone for over 2 years now, and while I can't say I have never dropped it... I never managed to actually damage the phone.

22. Bigtree macrumors 6502

I suppose you think everyone "owes" you a living too.

YOU dropped it. YOU pay for it. OWN up to it! Sorry it happened, but that's life.:rolleyes:

23. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Everybody goes into iPhone ownership knowing it's made of glass. That's the chance YOU take. If you think you're liable to drop it, don't get it or get it and TAKE YOUR CHANCES. It sucks to drop it and it breaks. That being said, if I drop mine in five minutes and it breaks, I'll be mad at MYSELF for being careless. I won't be mad at Apple for making it the way they did. They didn't hold a gun to my head and make me buy it.

24. djuzi05 macrumors regular

The whole beauty of the iPhone is the glass front and back. Sure it's fragile, but there is no other phone like it and that's what we pay for.

If you want to pay the same for a phone covered in textured plastic and rubber coating, you can certainly do that to.